Golf Cart Won't Move In Forward or Reverse

jetlr

My golf cart won't move in forward or reverse, and this is my first time trying to diagnose an electric golf cart, so I am overwhelmed and need help. There is no power reaching the motor. I have cleaned all battery connections, the forward and reverse switch contacts, and controller connections. The micro switches on the F-N-R switch seem to work properly, but I am unsure about the accelerator micro switch.
It has a metal arm on the bottom side with a U-shape at the end, but there is nothing that contacts the cam on this metal arm when the accelerator pedal is depressed. Should there be something that makes contact with this arm? I have tried to locate a service manual and diagnostic or troubleshooting chart that covers a 1990 EZ-Go but have not located any of these. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Joe

BCGC

most likly the controller. what kind of cart? easy way to tell that somthing is going on with the controller is: jack up the cart and jump the solenoid. if cart does not move the problem is in the controller.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The micro on the accelerator has to activate for the cart to run. Jack the back of the cart up and manually activate that micro then see if the cart runs.

jetlr

Thanks BGCG for the info on checking the controller. The cart is a 1990 EZ-Go Marathon. I am not getting any voltage to the motor or the F-N-R switch, so when I used a jumper wire to jump the solenoid nothing happened. I sure was hoping there was some other explanation rather than the controller being bad. When I press the accelerator pedal, there is no clicking sound from the solenoid. The solenoid has 37 volts across the small terminals and 5 volts across the big posts. Is there a possibility of locating a used controller somewhere? Thanks again for your assistance.
Joe

jetlr

Thanks HOTRODCARTS for the info. I realized that the linkage arm had slipped out of position, so when I checked the pot box there was a reading of 7300 ohms (wide open) whether the accelerator pedal was depressed or not. I rotated the arm back in position and now it contacts the arm on the micro switch when the accelerator is not depressed. Now the pot box ohms check out correctly (o ohms when accelerator is not pressed and goes up to 7300 when fully depressed.
Thanks again for your assistance.

jetlr

That's what I thought. After reading your post, I went back and rechecked. This time I got 2830 ohms at full throttle. Does this mean the pot box is bad and may be causing the cart not to run, or could it still be the controller as mentioned in another post? Thanks HotRodCarts