Golf cart drag race

classycarts

Cartaholic
Hi everyone! Wanting to know if there is anyone interested in participating in a golf cart bracket race @ Dragway 42 in West salem, ohio. The date for this is Sat. evening Oct. 13th at the Halloween Thing race. There will be a cash payout. Unsure of the amount at this time, my goal is $500.00, $350.00 payout to the winner and $150.00 to runner up. Race is to the 330' clock. I will give more details and post as is I get them. Right now Iam working on putting this together. The main goal is that everyone that comes has FUN. Thanks.

OlBoy

That sounds like a great event. Wish I was closer I would love to attend. Good luck with it and I hope you have a big turn out.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It sounds like it should be a very nice event. I won't be able to make it on the 13th I have a pig roast going on that day. Good luck with this and keep us updated on it.
cool.gif

classycarts

Cartaholic
Here is the results from cart drag race. It was a good turn out for starting @ 11:00pm. Even the owners remarked that thay were impressed on the amount of carts that entered. Said they had more cart in this race than cars in the Box race earlier that evening. Only 18 cars had entered the Box race and there was 24 carts in the cart race
biggthumpup.gif
It was a double breakout with M. Egan the $200 WINNER, driving a Club Car, ran a 17.42 on a 17.60 dial in with a .195 reaction time. The $50 RUNNER-UP was TJ. Rutherford driving a Yamaha, ran 21.27 on a 21.60 dial in with a .102 reaction time. AS for me, the 540 cart broke the drive belt on the first time run. Let a friend drive the 340 cart, cart was running around 7.30s, in the first round he got on the brakes a little to much at the topend and lost control and rolled. He was ok but the cart needs some paint repair and a new rim on the left rear.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm glad you had a decent turn out for the race. Sorry to hear about the 340 rolling
ohmy.gif
. At least no one was hurt.

Nate

Thank you for the results.

How did the track react to the roll over? I hope this does not cause them to reconsider letting carts run.

classycarts

Cartaholic
The only thing they were a little upset with was me and the fact I didn't have arm restraints on the cart. They had told me about getting some about a month ago when we put on the wheelie show. Now I see clearly, is a must. I'm also going to add bars to make it a full roll cage to keep the drivers helmet off the track. No, I don't think this will cause any problem in future cart races. That evening the owner was telling me they were considering having another cart race on Saturday night, ( because of the turnout of cart racers ) if they got done in good time. I didn't go sat. but heard they raced late so there was not time for a cart race. Now as far as I know there my be another cart race in November at the Turkey Trot race. Because of this crash, I think there will be more concern with safety on faster carts. We will need to come up with some rules and regulations to keep everyone safe so we can keep having golf cart races. Who knows, this could become the NGCRA , INTERNATIONAL GOLF CART RACERS ASSOSIATION

classycarts

Cartaholic
Sorry I thought I had that changed before I hit send. THE NATIONAL GOLF CART RACERS ASSOCIATION. I hate it when I'm reminded that I'm human in front of so many
redface.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Thanks!!
I need to move them all to a new host. Yahoo photos shut down and they were supposed to remove all the pics on Sept 20th. I guess they havent gotten to it yet.
unsure.gif

Nate

Thanks for the information, I am trying to convince the track hear in Chandler Arizona to let golf carts race. So far they won't budge.

classycarts

Cartaholic
Sorry OLBoy, not many. I have pictures the winner and runner-up. And also a video of the crash but thats about all.

Nate

Yes, it is Firebird Raceway. They say golf carts can be used for support but not on the track. They will even let 3 wheelers run but not golf carts. Reason being they don't know what to look for in the tech inspection so I am trying to show them other drag strips are allowing them and to use their tech inspection checklist.

classycarts

Cartaholic
Nate, maybe come up with your own tech list and present it to them. You be the tech inspector for them. I learned a lot from the 340 crash. Went to Summit Racing today and picked up the front roll bar to make it a full cage. Also some arm restraints. I'm debating even if I want to race these fast carts again. If the 340 cart would have went to the right, it would have hit the other cart possibly injuring that driver. I'm not saying I don't want to race, it just would'nt be against a stock slow cart. I had posted in the beginning there should be different classes. Here is an example. (Stock , Super Stock, Pro Mod. Kind of keep the carts running close to the same et. So there's not a 7.00sec cart racing a 20.00sec. cart. Stock would run from 22.99sec down to 15.00sec. and would not require any safety equipment. Super Stock would run 14.99sec to 12.00sec. and require a helmet and seat belt. Pro Mod would run 11.99sec to 0. require helmet, 4 point harness, full roll bar and arm restraints.) NHRA is big on safety. So we need to come up with some sort of safety guidelines. Oh, by the way, what the 3 wheelers race against? Bikes?

Nate

They didn't say what the three wheelers raced against I was just surprised they let them on the track but not golf carts.

You have good points there; I think any cart with seat belts should have a cage though. If it ever tipped I would not want to be strapped to one with no cage.
The thing to relay is these carts are not toys and should be taken seriously. Even a 15 MPH stocker is dangerous if not properly handled. Thanks for the ideas; looks I need to be their tech inspector. Firebird is not that far from me.

I am gaining ammunition before I go back, Don & Troy told me they would cover the story if Firebird would let me run.

If you don’t mind me asking, what caused the 340 to flip?