Golf Cart Battery Testing

Bkeys

Starting to go through my '72 Club Car golf cart and want to do some battery testing. It seems to have no power at all but gets spurts here and there. My initial thought is the solenoids. However since we just bought it last year a systematic go through is in order. I want to check battery condition and start with the simple and obvious. It is. 36 volt system. I have a regular battery tester but it's geared for 12v, so it's just gonna show it as a bad battery regardless. I'm pulling them out one at a time. First one is showing 7.6v output. It should only be kicking out 6.3-6.5. Is there some sulfation going on or is there another reason for that high voltage? I haven't picked up a hydrometer yet to check SG. Does anybody know what the impedance should be on one of these? Finally other than load testing or discharging is there anything else I could or should do to evaluate the batteries?

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Make sure you don't have one 8 volt battery in there. You could test two batteries at one time.

Bkeys

There is absolutely no markings on the batteries beyond the positive and negative post labels. But the batteries all have 3 cells so they should all be 6v batteries

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Like Diode said you can test them two at a time with your 12 volt battery tester.

Or you can get yourself a multi-meter and test each battery at rest and under load by driving the golf cart. There's no need to unhook any cables to test the batteries individually.

As far as the battery with 7.6 volts goes it if only has 3 cells it's a 6 volt battery so it's either been getting over charged big time or your meter is off.

Bkeys

Sure could be the meter. I was using the battery tester rather than a multimeter. And like I said...the tester is for 12v. I was doing 1 at a time so that may have thrown it off. I have to enter an CCA value in the tester and can't find any info on the batteries so I was taking a wild ass guess and that could throw it off. I'll break out the multi meter. Anybody know if there is a CCA value to golf cart batteries?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Golf Cart batteries are deep cycle which are rated by amp hours so I don't think they have a CCA value that I'm aware of.

Bkeys

Alright...got multi meter out. 4/6 tested all showing around 6.3v hydrometer showing ok to good. I have 2 left to check. One has a lot of corrosion on top I also have 2 questionable battery cables. Then on to solenoids.