Golf Cart Battery Test Load and No Load

showner3

New here and have been reading alot, great information!!

I have a 92 Club Car 36v V-glide/resistor golf cart. I did a 4" Z-lift and 22" tires. The cart is for my 13 yr old son so extremely fast speed is not a big thing.

I went through and re-furbed alot on the cart, new f&r switch, solenoid, battery wires. The golf cart batteries I had are not testing that great IMO.
This is how they go:

Battery # No-Load Under-load
1 6.55 6.08
2 6.24 5.35
3 6.10 5.27
4 6.38 5.81
5 6.08 4.88
6 6.48 5.83
1 POS 6 NEG 37.84 30.19

How do these volt readings look to you guys??

It seems that is a very substantial drop??
I can get 3 of the batteries warrantied they have been bought within the last year. They are a generic Exide part # GC110 I was planning on 3 addt'l batteries as well.

Secondly, I just purchased new brushes and springs for the motor from EMP. I have a friend who owns an Auto electric shop install them. I have the heavy frame motor?? Atleast that is what Chuck from EMP said (not the tin-can). I bought the Copper brushes as opposed to the stock carbon/? blend.

Long and short what type of performance( speed/torque) should I see out of this combination?? Is there anything else that I should do before I button everything back up??

Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum!

The battery numbers don't look good. Were they fully charged when you did the tests? Do you have any accessories hooked up to any of the batteries? You could try charging them individually or in pairs with a 6 or 12 volt charger and retesting them. If you do wind up warrantying 3 of the batteries and buying 3 make sure you get 6 of the same batteries.

JRay

Cartaholic
I would say all those batteries are done. # 1 is the only one that is any good but you should replace all 6 and get it over with and be good to go. How old are they?

Nate

Thank you for the load/no-load battery readings. You seem to have more access to things than average. Can you do a balance charge? I would do a balance charge then test the batteries again. If they come in like your above posting I would look a warranty if applicable.

showner3

I am able to get the better three warrantied. I am a Sales Mgr at a chevy dealership and we used the cart around the lot. Before i cam here the dealership put just the three in and i am going to be able to get them warrantied. From the same place i am going to buy the other 3. They are a generic Exide GC110 produced for Big R stores here in IL. From what I have seen this should be a pretty good battery shouldn't it??

Also what is your guys' opinion on what I am doing to the motor. Should this get the job done?? Or should I have just looked into a buying a built up motor from EMP??
Thanks,
Jason

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm not sure if you'll see any difference in performance with the copper brushes. What did Chuck say? He knows these motors so I would believe anything he told you.

Nate

Another thing to note: Bad batteries will pull good batteries down; this is why it is highly recommended to replace all 6 at the same time.

showner3

Right.. That is what the previous owner (the dealership) did. They installed only 3 new batteries. I have bought 3 new ones to go along with the other 3 new ones that were warrantied.

Chuck was an awesome guy, I just forgot to ask him that. If I recall he did mention a little something about a little more torque and top end.