GM HEI Ignition Upgrade For a Golf Carts

LJRinWNC

I've heard of people doing a conversion to a GM HEI ignition module and coil upgrade to the 2-stroke golf carts.
Can someone post a wiring diagram? Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Here's info Nubs posted on the HEI ignition conversion.

I saved this from a few years back, it works really well and can save some money if your handy at fixin' stuff.

Since that EZ-GO is phasing out parts for the 2 strokers, I did a gm hei module upgrade (I've done this on older motorcycles and it works great), so here's what I did.

Step 1: Go to your local auto parts house and ask for a gm hei ignition module for a 76 chevy 1/2 ton with a 350 (cost about $15-20)

Step 2: Mount the module on a piece of aluminum as far away from any heat source as possible (don't forget to put the grease on the back side of the module to help it transfer heat from the module to the aluminum).

Step 3: Hook the blue wire from the pulser coil to the terminal marked (W) on the hei module.
Hook the red wire from the pulser coil to the terminal marked (G) on the hei module.
Take the green wire from the main soleniod and make a connection to go the (+) side of the ignition coil and the terminal marked (+) on the hei module.
Run a wire from the (-) side of the ignition coil and run it to the terminal marked © on the hei module.
Then run a wire from the mounting screw closest to the (B C) terminals on the hei module to a a good ground (I ran mine the where the (-) battery cable connects to the frame)
and your done!
(Note) there are two wires that ran from the voltage regulator to the original ez-go ignition module, I just removed them and the cart runs and charges just fine.

LJRinWNC

Thanks for the info. I wonder if an MSD type capacitive discharge box would work, as that replaces the internal HEI ignition module?

Jerome

Ok I’m following. Got a 1985 ez go two stroker. I got the gm module but there’s no + or - just w, g, b and C. And where do I find these pulser coil wires? Is the pulsar coil different than the ignition coil? Only a red green and yellow come out of the motor. 😖

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 86

Jerome

What’s the “blue wire to pulsar coil”? I got a blue from the ignition coil to the “switch” hooked to the gas pedal

Jerome

Ask this is what my wires all look like. It doesn’t show a pulser coil in this.

Attachments

• 43D4EFB9-1DFE-45BF-8F62-6941DE99BC81.png
    43D4EFB9-1DFE-45BF-8F62-6941DE99BC81.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 81

Jerome

Argh!!! I’m so stumped. I can get voltage coming OUT of the spark plug wire. But when I put a plug in there, (and I have tried many with the same result). There is Little to mostly no spark. WTH

Zman

Cartaholic
Are you sure you don't have points and a condenser to trigger the coil ? If you do there is no pulsar coil.

Jerome

I don’t see any condenser nor points. The only thing that kinda resembles is the voltage regulator. Or what I think the regulator is.