getting speed out of coils

hearserider

i have a late 80s club car, one solenoid, v-glide, 5 coils, etc. i was wondering if there was anyone else out there who had tried to get some more out of the resistor coil system. is it possible to fabricate my own coils? wouldn't it be as simple as using the lowest possible resistance in the high speed coil? i'm trying to get the most out of it without going to solid state.

also, i noticed that the wire in the v-block that connects the common to each speed was only so big, so if i upgrade my other wires am i going to get more resistance here?

hearserider

that makes absolutely no sense. there are 5 coils and 5 contacts in the v-block... there would only need to be 4 coils if that were the case...

so you're telling me that if i take out my high speed coil it will still go top speed?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
At full throttle the coils are out of the loop. Any cart will do that when rolling backward. If you keep doing it you'll need more than info on resistor colis...
rotflmao.gif

hearserider

then explain to me how the coils are out of the loop, and why there are 5 coils but only 5 connections. also... don't worry about the way i drive my cart.

my motto... drive it like you can fix it.

dougmcp

Generally speaking the reason for the steps in the V-Glide are for a smooth transition from zero to full speed. At full speed the resistors are not required and are not in the motor loop. If you are looking for more top speed, try increasing your tire diameter.

If you increase the wire size you will be able to get more power to the motor. That in turn will burn out the V-Glide and if you keep going from reverse to forward, the commutator on the motor will give out as well.

I watched the video, sorry to say, it looks more like abuse than fun to me. I hope you don't drive your car like that.

hearserider

yikes2.gif
geez... how do you guys have fun then? and yes i do drive my car like that, too.

if it's any consolation i wasn't shifting back and forth there, just letting it roll back.

also, i wasn't asking so much about the v-glide having a gradual increase, but the wire that goes from the common to the sweeper isn't very large, are there any ugrades for that? or the v-block in general?

BadToTheBone

I have never seen any upgrades for the v-glide. Is that wire getting hot? If its not hot then going bigger wouldnt help anyway.

dougmcp

As badtothebone mentioned, if it's not getting hot, it is carrying the current it's being asked for.

Other than tires, the only thing left for more speed is an upgrade to 48v which would give you an additional 30% speed and torque. This is pretty hard on the V-Glide so the next step would be a complete controller upgrade.

hearserider

i'm looking to get the most out of it without going solid state...

the wire in the v-block gets pretty warm, one wiper arm melted on me, but it was under normal driving and because it got stuck on from mis-alignment, which i fixed with an extra bracket.

mind you, this cart was pulled out of the woods, and all the parts were exchanged for my labor, from the generosity of BCGC.

hearserider

one last thing.
as far as going to 48v, is there anyone who has added two more 6v batteries that ar eout of the loop until you either flip a switch or press a button, any write-ups about doing so or any idea on making a circuit that can handle it?

i wouldn't want a constant 48, just uphill or drag racing.
i've seen some carts with hill assist buttons or boost buttons, how do those work? something in the controller i would imagine.

but if someone could point me in the right direction, maybe a solenoid that opens the circuit, or a heavy duty switch?

any help would be nice, but please refrain from telling me i'm better off doing something else.

BadToTheBone

It could be a shunt which will burn up the motor eventually usually sooner than later.
wink.gif
I wont go into the details of why shunts are bad because youve told us you dont care about the cart or tearing it up
rotflmao.gif
Search ebay for golf cart boost and you should find the kit I think they are around $50. Several people sell them on ebay.

hearserider

i don't understand why everyone in any forum i've been in thinks they're the greatest thing around, or why you all insist on laughing at any ideas i have.

and i never said i didn't care about the cart, i said i drive it like i can fix it. which i have done several times, just because driving it cautiously with avoid it breaking constantly, doesn't mean i'm going to do so. and because you all seem to have the money to do a proper build.

i'm just looking to have fun, and you're mistaking me for ignorant.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
People including myself are just trying to help you and be honest in answering your questions. You got a attitude right way with your first reply to your original question. I don't think anyone has a bad attitude toward you or thinks they're "the greatest thing" like you claim. And I don't see anyone saying anything bad about your ideas. The bottom line is this, there's several other golf cart forums so it should be pretty easy to find one you like. Hopefully it's this one.
twocents.gif

dougmcp

The wire in the v-block gets pretty warm, one wiper arm melted on me, but it was under normal driving and because it got stuck on from mis-alignment, which i fixed with an extra bracket.
V-Glides do not have a good success rate with a 48v upgrade unless they stay on level ground without large tires and a rear seat. The common consensus is to go to a controller based set up. If your V-Glide switch is getting warm/hot now, it definitely won't handle a voltage upgrade, maybe a change to a new one and all new wiring would help a little. If you go 48v, chances are you still won't have a reliable cart until you do the controller conversion.