Gator Pedal Start

over49

I recently bought a 2002 John Deere Gator Turf model (gas) with the pedal start. I know there may not be many Gator lovers on this forum, but my question is about the pedal start "feature". Don't some gas golf carts have this?

There is a switch on the firewall that is released when the gas pedal is depressed which energizes the starter/generator. I'd like to modify this to be more of a manual start operation - maybe with a switch on the dash. I don't understand all I know about how the pedal start works. Does anyone know if this is feasible? Thanks!

Steve in Cincinnati

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome Steve
tip.gif
JD did that on some models so you could not let em idle and over heat, you should be able to take the wires from the starter/peddle switch and run them to a key switch. then turn up the idle screw (if it has one?) so it does not idle in start mode.

just my
twocents.gif

over49

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try. I would like to have it idle, though. Part of my reason for modifying this is that the engine is always going on/off/on/off when I'm trying to creep along in a slow speed.

Steve

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
there should be an adjustment on the peddle switch that will stop that or try to draw up your throttle cable.

over49

Thanks for the suggestion. After more inspection, I noticed that the return spring was missing on the carb throttle valve. This was 1/2 the problem. The other half is that the centrifugal clutch doesn't open up/spread fully at idle. This causes the gator to want to creep forward. You can manually pull the pulley halves apart (when the engine is not running, of course), but if you run it a few minutes, it gets stuck "in" again. Does this sound like a whole new clutch issue or is there a fix for this?

Also, occasionally, the starter/generator won't turn off when the key switch is turned off. The gas engine is not running, just the starter motor. Any ideas on this? Only happens intermittently.

Thanks very much!
tip.gif

Steve

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
that clutch is pretty much a replace when worn deal, you can replace the spring and do some shim work but it will never be 100% without a lot of work, you can pull the cover and check to see if a spring is broke. i think 300.00 or less should get you a new one.
as for the starter running on, it sounds like the starter solenoid is sticking and should be replaced.

we always like pictures
naughty.gif

good luck

over49

I really appreciate your help on this. I ordered a new solenoid today. In the meantime, tapping on the solenoid gets it to shutdown.
tip.gif

Steve