Gas Fuel Gauge for 2020 Yamaha Quietec Golf Cart

Bob Dietl

Recently bought a new 2020 Yamaha Quietec golf cart. Came close to running out of fuel twice. I would like to install a gas fuel gauge to to dash.
My question is Has anyone installed a sending unit or modified the existing fuel pump mounting plate for install.
It doesn't appear to be enough flat spot on top of the fuel tank for typical sending unit mount.

Zman

Cartaholic
Is it a fuel injected engine? If so you already have a fuel level sensor on pump assy. You would just need to get the gauge.

Bob Dietl

Thank you for the response. Yes it is fuel injected. I called Yamaha and all they offer is a gas cap gauge. Can you help me with any additional information? What ohm gauge. Where are the sending wires?

1YAMAGUY

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
From what Zman said
U might need a wiring diagram to determine which wire U connect to but check under dash panel/tray, it just might already be there.

Mine is an '18 and there are a couple wires to ??, possibly trace e wire Color from the pump assy.
I just bought a guage cap 4 mine, almost as quick as looking at a dash guage n no mounting problem with it.
Good luck in your quest but let us know the outcome whichever way.

Zman

Cartaholic
There should be a purple wire from the sender to the gauge . this is the signal wire, look under dash cover for a purple wire and a ground (black) wire in a harness plug. I do not know what the specs are but you can use a volt meter to check it for voltage or ohm it out to find what the value is empty and full.

1YAMAGUY

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
One of the guages shows 0-190 ohms, one would think that would cover it maybe. On my '18 Quietech there are only two wires coming from the pump. Without looking closely I'm assuming a ground & positive to run the pump although I never hear run ...it is an EFI.

Bob Dietl

Mine as well. The tank bottom offers a new challenge for the addition of a sending unit. it's bottom is not flat for whatever reason.

Attachments

• 20201130_115721.jpg
    20201130_115721.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 24

Bob Dietl

Here is the fuel pump. It appears that it is prepped for sending unit

Attachments

• 20201130_132808.jpg
    20201130_132808.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201130_132758.jpg
    20201130_132758.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 23

Bob Dietl

There were several challenges. 1st. The instructions for the sending unit calls for a 1 1/2" hole. However the sending unit doesnt fit in the 1 1/2" hole.
I separated it in 2 pieces, removed the fuel pump, fed the float assembly thru the fuel pump hole and up thru the new 1 1/2" hole and re attached to the top end.
Before I refilled fuel. I programmed gauge for color backlight and for the correct ohm resistance for the sending unit. (This sounds technical but the instructions with the gauge are clear)
Before reinstalling fuel pump I reached the it's hole and raised/ lowered the float to double check.

Screenshot_20201207-103707_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20201207-103642_Amazon Shopping.jpg

92pete

If your looking to put the factory Yamaha gauge in your cart the only way found is you have to buy a fuel pump assembly for a pvt model they come with a fuel sender attached to the pump and all you do is wire the purple wire from the plug into a gauge otherwise the fuel pump assy for a fleet cart has the plug for the purple wire but there is no sender attached to the pump assembly