GarageBuilt Racing

GarageBuilt

Drag racing golf carts as it was 3 to 5 years ago is a thing of the past. And what a shame when you look at the money that has been thrown at this so called sport. Will drag racing golf carts as it was mint to be every come back .... No !!!!!!

But there is still 4 of us left 5 if you count Robby . Terry. Troy. Randy. & myself. So between the 5 golf carts left they all have nothing really in common. Our voltage is all over the place. Our carts differ just as much .

We all unloaded our carts this past weekend for some good down home bracket racing. It didn't take long to see what was really going on. Batteries being added controllers being turned up motors being destroy. So much for trying to run consistence. By the end of the weekend I understood what was really going on.

Todays racing is all a bout setting & breaking records & even for us our personal best. Robby. Terry. & Randy all have world records . Even Troy has his sights on one. For me I miss the days of trash talking & running my carts from coast to coast.

For me Im just going to hang out at my local track & see just how far I can push my GarageBuilt golf cart & my own so called junk motors. My goal is to lay down numbers equal to Krazy Karts & hold Dirty South to his word.

Until then its trying to get my motors to live at higher voltage. So far two motors 3 runs each @ 156 volts. My controller can handle a total of 191.1 v0lts. Going to the track Friday night on 168 volts. But I got to say getting a stock rebuilt motor to push 156 volts is pretty damn exciting. But from what I can see from my two motors Im guessing around 175 volts will be max for me. Terry H is pushing over 200 plus volts to his motors so I am told & for that I tip my hat to him & Randy. Randy & his STD motors have really pushed TH over the top. :thumbsup:

Go are blow which is nothing new for me I will post time slips to come right here.. Good luck & God speed to all you record seekers, but just remember records are to be broken. :hattip: :checkered:

TerryH

It is really good to see you back at it Ronnie!!! I still have hope that others will join in. We are all over the place on how we run these carts and that's ok. To each his own. I want to go as fast and quick as I possibly can. Obviously we are still working on how to get a motor to live on 190 volts but we are gaining on it. Sometimes electricity still bites us in the butt. I proved last weekend that I can still blow up motors on 120 volts much less on 190. :rotflmao:
The challenge of figuring it all out is what keeps me going.

GarageBuilt

Terry I do have to admit this type of racing was with out any pressure and the fact that our different types of golf carts plus what ever the voltage maybe it doesn't affect the outcome of us all getting together & laying it all out there . Blowing up motors & gears look cool but I hope to have it all behind me by now. I have no doubt that Randy will produce you a motor that can run on 190 volts. But to get a 6 5/8 golf cart can to hold 190 volts & live. I believe would take a miracle or a truck load of money. But I do wish you & your crew all the best. Who knows I have been wrong before & IM sure there will be a guy or two to step up & belittle my knowledge of what I have learned with golf cart motors. I have no attentions of becoming a motor builder. But I would like to show to the guys that think they need a hand-built custom motor that with the right motor to start with & a little bench work that they can go fast with a stock motor. But they are on their own when it comes to batteries.. There is just no cheap way around that. One can go high voltage & fast with a cheap motor & a strong battery pack. But even the best hand built race motor will not go fast on a half ass battery pack. But Terry you keep pushing & we'll keep hoping & wishing you are very successful with that drag cart. It couldn't happen to a better man. Any time Terry you just say the word & ill be glad to come test & tune with you.

TerryH

Thanks Ronnie. We will get it figured out. Have lots of help from Stu at ALM and from some guys in the NEDRA. Cart racing in general is still one big experiment!! :hattip::checkered:

GarageBuilt

So I finally made it back to the track. Our best run to date is 8.7 @ 84.5 mph with a 6:1 gear. I went back to the track with the same set up less the gear change. I went to a 8:1 gear. First run of the night was a 8.4 @ 77.67 The second run of the night was a 8.3 @ 81.6mph , As I went thru the lights @ the big end the rear tires locked up & I skidded to a stop . I was done for the night. Tore the motor down the next day to find that a 3 inch piece of the filed windings had melted off locking up the motor. Now that was a first for me. Usually it's the brush system that burns up. Or twice now I have had the armature to explode. More than once & time to time the motor would run hot lifting a commentator or two taking out the whole brush system. But Mr Wicked did tell me that I had turned that motor 11.400 rpm's. I have a long way to go with my on hand built motors & not always do I understand what the problem is. But I'm back now & loving every minute of it..

Now besides the motor issues I have a handling issues. At 80 mph my cart is still straight as an arrow but now the stability of the cart in no longer there. I fell the 3/4 wide junior dragster front tires will no longer get the job done. Its time for a new front end with a wider tire.

Now I have my work cut out for me. Build a new motor. Build & new front end. And raise the voltage to the new motor. Because I am still running a stock golf cart rear end & stock golf cart brakes & that they are not designed to stop a 80 plus mph golf cart I will now start to rely on the parachute to help stop my golf cart.

GarageBuilt

I know for the most part no one really cares what I am doing with my drag cart much less my motors. Most guys will stop to read & then just move on with out any comment's. But if just one guy says hay I can do that & takes the time to build a fast golf cart & joins us for a race then it will be worth the effort. But there will always be guys like T-dawg. Always negative of what I have to say. Does all his racing on You Tube. And even clams on his own T-Dawg's Kuntry Karts Website.
quote :he has competed across the country in several drag race events & is herald as having one of the fastest golf carts in the US. unquote !!!!! GO FIGURE !!!!!!

I'm not really trying to start any chit with Tim. But I never wiil forget when he told me to take my :censored: motors & get off the forum... At that time maybe they were chit motors . My very first motor I built blew at 71 mph 0n 144-volts. I may not be at the same level of motors of Plum Quick's world record in the 1/4 mile 0r the motor's that Wicked Carts sells to Terry's 1/8 mile record, But I'll get there. !!!! And with out being herald... :rotflmao: O" T-dawg :thumbsup:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I do think his spelling will improve once he starts using his lips to sound out the words :thumbsup:

Hope to see Him soon.