G16 starting problems

budd650

I have a 1997 Yamaha gas golf cart. When I step on the starter pedal, the solonoid just clicks and the starter motor does not turn. I put a new solonoid on it, but it still does not turn. If I jump from the battery hot terminal to the starter motor, the cart engine runs, but I cannot start normally. Has anyone got any ideas what the problem is?

Budd650

kogieblack

Either a loose connection on the negative side or blown fuse. Since the solenoid is clicking, it is assumed that current reaches the solenoid.

budd650

Kogieblack, thanks very much. I traced the whole circuit, both negative and positive. Could not find anything loose, although I found the engine stop relay has a closed contact when it is out of the circuit. The coil reads 101.5 ohms, which I am pretty sure is normal for a coil, but the contact from blue to black reads 0 ohms, which is telling me it is closed. Is it a normsally closed contact or normally open as shown on the diagram.

kogieblack

The solenoid mechanism is like a door bell. It is "open" (circuit is not complete) until you switch on the key and step on the gas pedal.

Check also your ignitor.