G1 Engine Issues

Drifter

I have an 83 G1 that I have operated for 6 years with reoccurring problems each year. This is the fastest best handling cart we have ever owned but has given me the most headaches of any cart I have ever owned. This unit runs great then gets hard to start and cutting out when running. Runs good wide open usually but will not operate at lower rpm. I have cleaned the fuel tank, replaced fuel filters and cleaned the carb several times. Last year it laid down again I had the crank seals changed but it did not fix the problem so I bought my wife a newer EZGO to replace it. She wants the G1 back in service. She likes the speed. It has been at 2 different shops this year for 3 months. They finally blamed it on dirt in carb. I picked it up running good. Hauled it to the farm and it would not start to get off the trailer. I have hit a brick wall. Anyone have any thoughts on what I could next? :wallbash:

djlan99

Check the fuel pump diaphragm. These break and gas gets pulled into the engine crankcase.
Will not start or runs like it`s flooded or only runs if peddle is at full throttle.

You may also have an electrical issue with the spark. These engines do not foul spark plugs.

Check orange wire and ground at coil. The orange wire breaks at the coil.

Check the wires at the engine flywheel. check for a wire strap if no strap check wires for rubbing wear just back from the connectors. (hear bottom of air filter box)

Check pulse coil splices in harness at battery box corner (near muffler pipe) These fail do to location.

Drifter

Thanks

I have went over the wiring several times but what you described as the fuel issue is exactly what it is doing. I will replace and go over the wiring again. I know it is something simple and will embarrass me when I find it. This is a backup cart but my wife loves it so I will keep working on it.

djlan99

These carts are not as easy to work on as most people think. The electrical systems invert with forward and reverse for both ignition and cranking. Most people can not troubleshoot these.

Take your time. We are here to help you.

Drifter

Finally made it home. I ordered a new coil assembly and it was here when I arrived. Get the mowing and weed eating caught up then I will try new coil tomorrow. :dazed:

Drifter

Replaced coil. Now it runs strong at high rpm but is still hard to start and running rough at lower rpm. Purchased a new electric fuel pump that goes to 3 psi and a regulator that will go down to 1 psi. Going to wire so it will start pumping when engine turns over. Will start at 1 psi and see how it reacts. Bypassing factory pump. Hopefully this will be the answer. :thumbsup:

Drifter

Finally SUCCESS !!!!! Installed the electric pump and regulator. Started ay 1 PSI it was still running rough. Went to 1.5 psi ran better. Dialed in at 2 psi and everything came together. It starts easy and runs good at low and high RPM. Checked top speed and topped out at 38mph. Time to get the Margarita Machine out and celebrate. :cheers:

Drifter

Took the G1 for a 22 mile trail ride. Worked perfect. If anyone else has this type of issue I would advise my final fix and save a lot of headaches. :hattip:

djlan99

You had a broken diaphragm in the fuel pump and it was putting fuel into the engine crankcase.

Be careful on how you wire the fuel pump into the wire harness.

This is a floating ground electrical system.

Do not bypass the ground fuse.

I would rebuild the original pump or replace it with the same since they are very reliable.

These carts clock out at around 40mph very easily and handle like a stock car.

83YAMAHA

Hello, I noticed your post is several years old but I was wondering if you remember which terminals you used to wire your fuel pump? I was going to wire one side to the regulator (+) then to the battery (-) and put a in line fuse on the negative side. The reason is a dual solenoid or I'd have wire to the switch. Regulator seemed easier. Thanks for your help.