Front torsion steering with a 2" spring spacer

Glen Batchelor

I just rebuilt a 2000 EZGO TXT that originally had 2" front leaf spring spacers, spindle arm risers and flipped rear springs. I upgraded the rear springs to HD and kept them on top of the axle but could only find the OE 2-leaf front springs. I cut new 2" square tubing to fit up front instead of dropping the front back down. At top speed (fleet speed), with rear seat weight, I notice that the front wants to track with any rolls or dips in the road. If the dip is bad enough the torsion steer causes the front to start swaying on its own while the back is fairly stable. You can not counter steer when that happens it gets worse and will oscillate. The rack and pinion is a center pivot style, not the offset crank with the full-width tie rod. Are the spindle risers causing the instability from the tie rods or is it the leaf springs being too soft in the front with stiff rear springs? I can't really see what's doing when I'm driving lol. I may hook up a gopro under there and watch. It's gotta get fixed.

Glen Batchelor

I had to measure front and rear rim spacing since I rebuild the front end completely and had to re-align it all. There is a small amount of toe in. At lower speed it's stable. Also true under lighter loads at higher speeds. Could it be that the front weldment is off center enough to cause it? The pinion pivot is not centered on the tow plate hole. It refused to align there with all of the spring plates loose.

Glen Batchelor

I agree, that lift setup sucks but it was the original configuration on a budget rebuild and I suspect it was a cheap way to go from 8" to 10" rims to make it street legal with radials. I'm still trying to verify the VIN and setup from Bill's when they rebuilt it in 2005. I replaced the leaf spacers with 1/4" wall square tube but the spindle setup is far from ideal. I'll probably redo the suspension in the future and upgrade the motor, but I've already dropped close to $1200 in just rebuilding what was there to be functional. I'll check out the leaf springs and see who has them the cheapest. BU was one of my main sources for part searching but I also located many parts elsewhere that they have overpriced. Hardware especially.

Glen Batchelor

What's the best way to verify the front alignment? I've tried measuring the front and rear section of rim and it still "looks" like it's off but it could be an illusion due to the cowl shape. The rear axle was keyed in using the spring plates and the spring rivots so if that is off it won't be by much.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
To set the toe, with the wheels straight and the golf cart sitting on level ground measure the front and rear of the tires from center to center.
Also if I'm not mistaken with a block lift it the from you also need tie rod risers on the spindles to remove the angle of the tie rods running out to the spindles. If the tie rods are on a angle it will cause toe in issues like you are having.

Glen Batchelor

I'm going to try a steering stabilizer first and see how it responds. Found the OE one for $63 from Advantage Dist. If that doesn't help enough I'll swap out the springs for HD ones to reduce front roll.

Glen Batchelor

The standard EZGO stabilizer does not fit the older 3-bolt hanger up front with the lift block. The top spring plate hits the arm bushing bracket. I had to fudge the mount some to get it to bolt on the front middle bolt so there's enough arm length in both directions. It helped stiffen up the front a lot. Due to the lift, though, the front spring rate is still too far off from the rear and it wants to roll steer some.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm not sure why unless the front springs are shot. I've lifted a lot of EZGO golf carts and never had that problem with the stock front springs, even with heavy duty rear springs.

Glen Batchelor

The springs are new. It could still be something alignment related I guess. Will need to load the family up and take it for a road trip around the neighborhood and see if it's still as bad at max speed.