Front End Alignment on a Yamaha G1 Golf Cart

Malibujoel

Hi All.
After owning this Yamaha G1 golf cart for a few months and doing some motor work, I finally took her out for a spin. accelerates nice but steering wheel is off around 2 o’clock when going straight. Feels a little washy as well. The tires are worn and side walls have cracking. So I will replace all four. But what is the best way to align the front end toe in and out without putting it on a alignment rack? Is there anything else I should check?
Thank you in advance!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
With the front wheels straight set the toe by measuring the distance between the front of the tires mid way up the tires center to center. Then measure the distance between the rear of the tires mid way up center to center. Roll the cart a few feet and measure again. Yamaha's can be tricky if the toe is set wrong it, can effect the camber. I'd start at 0 toe so the measurement should be the same when measuring the front and rear of the tires. You can pull the steering wheel off and move it if it isn't centered when going straight after you set the toe.

Malibujoel

Thank you HotRodCarts! I will perform those measurements and adjustments this weekend. Or would you recommend replacing tires first?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
New tires make it easier to measure because they will have the mold seam in the center of the tire. But you can align it with the old tire also.

Malibujoel

This morning I put the cart on jack stands. I inspected the front end for too much free play as you can move steering wheel side to side a few inches before wheels are moving. What I found was were the tie rod set up hooks onto the gearbox, the shaft that comes out of box to the assembly has allot of up and down play causing all the free play in the steering. I will check the box for gear oil. I can adjust the tightness of the gears with the adjustment nut and screw. Is there anything else I should know that would fail causing the shaft to move up and down that much like a thrust washer or?
Thanks

Malibujoel

I just took the measurements on the front and rear tires. Keep in mind that the Jess Tyree Race team that owned this before put wider tires on the back which are 8.5 vs the front at 6.5. Front measure 32.5” on front of tire and 33.5 on rear of front tire. The rear tires measure 36.0” Center to Center. So the front is a bit toe in more which I think will be ok, but don’t mind adjusting if recommend doing so. I also added gear oil to steering box that took plenty of oil. I also adjusted the gear lash. Seems better. But with the cart in the air you can see the spliced shaft that comes out of gearbox that attaches to the tie rod assembly moves in the gear box up and down like too much free play. Not sure if that’s normal or not.

Malibujoel

I took cart off jack stands and went to run it. This cart used to idle. Now it won’t idle. I went back under cart to see 2 wires disconnected that were coming out of accelerator pedal housing. I plugged them both back in and still no idle. There are a total of 4 wires. I remember hearing some guys mod them to idle. Maybe I plugged in one of the wires that were left disconnected that would cause the cart to idle at a stop. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Malibujoel

With respects to the not idling I know these carts are designed this way. But I read to disconnect the black wire with white tracer by passenger rear fender. I did and I’m back to having a curb idle. I also read Yamaha recommended it done this way and won’t harm anything.
Now back to too much play in splined shaft coming out of gearbox.

Malibujoel

I will adjust 1/2” out on both sides or until even on back and front. But if we had to choose a slight toe in would be better then a toe out right?
Thanks HotRodCarts.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
On a Yamaha I'd start at 0 toe and if it doesn't effect the camber while driving in forward or reverse I'd leave it at 0.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There's a bushing in the steering box and if it's worn it will cause the up and down movement. There's a Yamaha G1 parts manual in the resource section of the forum that has a diagram of the steering box.