Frame Bending With Weight On My Golf Cart Limo Stretch Build

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I'm back working on the 4 cyl limo project but am starting to be concerned that the tubing size I chose for extending the frame is too small. I used 2" .120 wall square tubing and you can see in these pics how they are joined into the cart frame. Near the middle of the chassis it droops downward almost 1/2"while under load. Any ideas how the frame could be reinforced? Would it be better to stack another 2" square tubing on the underside of each frame rail or is this probably adding too much unnecessary weight on the frame? I was thinking about welding a 2 x 1 x .120 support tube instead but what about you guys, is this going to be enough structural rigidity? I can post some pictures of the frame warp tomorrow.

StreetGlide

Hello,

Depending on what body you are planning, you may be able to incorporate some "trestle" type supports which could give a lot of support with relatively low weight.

just an idea------

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Thanks for the ideas and drawings! What materials should the bracing and double frame rails be made from, 2" square tubing or could it be smaller like 1"? Approx how much distance between the upper and lower frame rails? How far apart to space the verticle support tubes?

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
The frame rails are 89" long and a wheelbase of 102".

Here's the bare frame as it is now. I tried to take pics of the bending but it doesnt show up in them. It's mostly where the original frame meets the front of the engine bay.
The space underneath the frame becomes tight around the engine.

Damn Ace Y'all do some nice fab work. You might try a 3/16" or 1/4" x 3" web plate skip welded on center under the frame rail with a little taper on both ends for a finnished look, that might stiffen it up if you have enough ground clearance. Just my
twocents.gif

johnny9

before i would put another stick of 2 inch there id weld a peice of 2x1/4 flat bar on edge and it couldnt bend id think..i had a trailer like that and it hauled a car.
id put it on jack stands in the center and stitch weld the bottom in the same place on both sides to put a slight camber in the frame the opposite direction of what its doing know,and then when the weight was on it it would be straight..
hard to figure with only 89 inches, the almost 1/8 inch thick tubeing would bend..it should be pretty strong.
are you sure you didnt put some weld somewhere on the bottom edge to heat it up and put a opposite camber effect in it when the weight was on it? its lookin real good so far,john

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Thanks for all the replies and help! Johnny, I have some extra 2 x 1 x .120 tubing laying around that could run the full length of the frame. Would you recommend giving this a try? Is it stronger to favor one side of the frame rail or center it like in this picture?

I tried to be careful and not heat up the frame too much with the engine weight on it. Good idea about jacking the frame in the middle. Now that the engine's out I'll flip the frame over and do the welding that way if we decide the 2 x 1 will be enough support.

StreetGlide

It would not have to go under the existing frame, it could go on top as well (either the smaller tubing or the trestle concept that HRC drew). The trestle would give a lot more support with smaller tubing than laying right on the existing frame. The cross pieces could be relatively small solid rod. Ofcourse, if the smaller tubing laying on the existing gave enough strength, it would take-up less space and Johnny9s idea of flat bar on edge would would work as well as the smaller tubing and take-up even less horizontal space (again, could be under or over the existing frame).

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
The frame should be good now or at least it looks much stronger. I think Johnny was right about the frame rails curving from the welding.
I turned the frame over and welded a 2x1 tube the full length of each main rail. I did a 2ft hot pass on each side in the middle which brought the frame back flat. I wanted it to bend the opposite way but I guess its too strong for that now. Thanks again for the help on this turd!
biggrin.gif

This thing is getting heavy! I am beginning to wonder if the 1 1/4 A-arms with 5/8 heim joints will be sufficient?

johnny9

i would have turned the frame upside down and just put a few welds to put oppisite camber in it and save on the weight but if theres room for what you did im sure it will all work out fine for you..
the beefier the better because we know that it may end up w/a small block chevy in it,haha
rotflmao.gif
john