forward/reverse switch

opcrna

I'm new to this site and have my first golf cart. I don't know the model # of cart, the f/r switch is between drivers leg as is the key.

My son gave me this cart of father's day. He had to have some work done on it when purchased.
Work consisted of replacing speed controller, solenoid, forward/reverse switch. I used it about three weeks and immediately begin having trouble with reverse switch. I would have to switch it back and forth from forward to reverse several times to get it to move in reverse. I took the seat off to check battery water level, the seat bump the F/R lever, It doesn't move in forward or reverse. the solenoid clicks in both Forward and reverse but cart doesn't move, Please help?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to Cartaholics.

Check the four large cables that connect to the forward and reverse switch to see if they are loose or look like they've been hot. Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If you're sure all the connections are clean and tight the next thing I'd check would be the contacts in the F&R switch. You'll have to take the switch apart to get a look at them.

opcrna

thanks for your help, maybe I didn't make myself clear about the problem I am having.
I was removing the seat and it slid down and hit the f/r lever, since that time It only click when I press the accelerator. I t seems like I need to align the contacts in the f/r switch?
any help is appreciated

o3rugby1

If it is only Clicking at the controler You need to remove the F/R Switch cam. This Involves removing the wires (Mark the wires in the order you take them off) On the back of the cam. Expose your contacts make sure they are clean and smooth and sitting flush insidie the cam with no bumps or humps they have to be smooth with the cam metal.. And now align your 4 contacts Find the example on the tech fourum here they have a picture of it and how they are supposed to look like. And put it all back together and you should be good...Also I bet if you jack up the back of the cart turn the key on put it reverse or foward depress the pedal and reach down to the Cam/switch and push on it in the front to make good contact and the wheels will move. This might take a couple of diffrent angles to get all the contacts to hit right,,,

Ed
If you break a zinc contact Thats ok just order new ones at BU. Replace them all if need be. If one is cracked or half way broke this will eventually make your wires Hot..
usaflag1.gif