Forward & Reverse Problems

msharp

I need some technical advice. I have a 2003 E-Z-Go TXT , 36 volt, non PDS or DCS. I assume it’s a fleet cart because I bought it from a dealer with a whole bunch of the same.
This is my first cart and I am somewhat stupid about its’ internal workings.
This is my problem. A month or so back it started acting up when shifting from forward to reverse. While in reverse and pressing the accelerator I can here a solenoid click but no movement. Then the problem would shift to no movement in foreword but reverse would work fine. I noticed two of the contacts on the F&R switch were discolored from over heating so I installed 4 new contact studs and replaced the cam assembly. That didn’t work. So ---- anyone have an idea of what’s going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like the problem is in the switch. When you replaced the contacts on the board did you notice if all four were flush with the board surface? Sometimes the heat from the bad connection will cause them to sink into the board and the new contacts won't make a good connection. If they're not all flush you should replace the board also.

Also make sure the contacts in the cam are aligned properly. If there off just a little they won't make a connection.

Make sure the rollers on both micro switches are riding on the cam like they should be.

You should have gotten new buss bars with the cam assembly but you may want to upgrade to HD buss bars to help with the heat.

Here's a pic of how the contacts in the cam should be aligned. Notice how the flat edges on the contacts are parallel to the center hole. Make sure yours are.
Resources | Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum

msharp

Thanks for the reply

When I get home from work I’ll check your suggestions. I’m pretty sure the cam is making good contact but I need to double check the micro switches. Seems to me there isn’t a lot of play for adjustments on those things. Will let you know.

Thanks again

msharp

Gents

I checked the F&R switch last night and things looked correct to me. The contacts on the board are in their grove and extend about a 64 of and inch above the face of the board. I have the cam tight so that you can feel and see the springs compress when shifting into forward or reverse. With the cam rotated fully counter clockwise (reverse) against the mechanical stop the contacts are aligned and the right micro switch roller is in the single indent on the cam and the left is in the long indent. When I rotate the cam right, into forward, the contacts are aligned and the left micro switch roller is on a high spot and the right roller is in the long indent. What I don’t know is whether the micro switches are fully disengaging and engaging. I’m going to put an ohm meter on them tonight and check.

Thanks again

Mike

msharp

Let me see if I can get this straight.
Both micro switches test out ok. With the roller arm depressed there is no continuity and when extended they are on. Both are riding on the cam edge.
The right switch appears to be an on/off switch with no voltage. The left switch is an on/off switch with 36 Volts across the terminals, when on.
When placed in forward the right switch is in the long indent on the cam and is on. The left switch is on the high lobe and is off.
When placed in reverse the right switch is in the single detent and on and the left is in the long detent and on.
In neutral both rollers are on the high side of the cam and off.
I assume this is working properly where do we go now?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Is the reverse buzzer working when you put in in reverse? If not it could be the reed switch. It's possible the reed switch blew when you were working on the forward and reverse switch. Their's a post in the EZGO resource forum here that will tell you how to check it.

msharp

The reverse buzzer was working fine. I turned it off as it was driving me crazy while troubleshooting. I read the post about the reed switch (what language is that anyway?) and sure enough when I touched the connector, near the charge receptacle, the wire broke. I reconnected and did a continuity check and it was fine. Still won’t go into forward.
sad.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Seeing how it's running in reverse its either a problem with the forward and reverse switch or it's wired wrong. I'd take a close look at these and triple check that it's wired correctly. Also check the micro switches on the F&R switch with your ohm meter. Remove wires from the micro switch and put an ohmmeter across the micro switch where the wires connected. Activate the switch, it should cycle the meter between 0 ohms and Open Circuit. If the meter does not change when you press the switch it is bad.