Forum Facelift

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm in the process of converting the forum to new software by XenForo.

This has been long overdue and will be a learning experience for me. I've ran other forums on just about every forum software out there but this will be the first time using XenForo I'm hoping to be able to save all members, posts, etc. There shouldn't be any down time during the conversion and I'm hoping this will be completed some time next week. :unsure: :thumbsup:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've got the conversion done on another test server but still having issues with losing some posts and members. I haven't thrown in the towel yet. :rotflmao:

To add to the nightmare I switched internet providers a couple weeks ago and have been having nothing but trouble with that also. A tech was supposed to come today to run a new drop line from the pole to the house but they called and changed to tomorrow. I'm at a standstill until I can keep a internet connection for more than 5-10 minutes.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic

I finally got the internet problem taken care of (I think) so I'm going to get back to the conversion tomorrow.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes totally different. The Xenforo software is pretty slick. To start with I will go with the default skin and make changes as I become more familiar with it and make sure everything is working like it should. I don't want to make a lot of changes to the default setup for a few weeks otherwise I won't know if it's something I changed or a problem with the conversion.

It can be connected with facebook, twitter, etc. I haven't got to that part yet.

Right now I have it working on a test server but I lost about half the posts and members so until I get that sorted out I won't go live with it.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
UPDATE:

I'm in the process of copying the new forum files to a new server. If everything goes as planned the new Forum will be online some time this afternoon or evening. :)

We will lose 2-3 days of the latest posts and 2-3 days of new members. So any new threads, posts and members from the last 2-3 will be gone but everything else is intact.

You may be required to verify your account by email once the new system is running but once you do your account will be as it was up until 2-3 days ago. I tried to work around this but the new software has a much better anti-spam system that I didn't want to disable.

I'm sure there will be some bugs but I won't know until the new forum goes live. :unsure:

I'd also like to THANK Claudio for everything he has done to get this conversion handled smoothly. His expertise is amazing. :hattip:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Well we're back up and running on the new server with the new Forum powered by Xenforo. If anyone notices anything not working or if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks.
HRC

Stoney

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Is it possible to have the posts listed with last post first like we had on the old format?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I believe you can change the way the posts are displayed in your preferences. I always had mine set on the old forum to start with the oldest post first otherwise you're reading the thread backwards. I'll look and see where the setting is but it's up to each member to set it how they want the posts displayed. Also if you click the little blue dot that is just to the left of the thread title it will take you to the first unread post in that thread so you don't have to read posts you've already read. If there's no unread posts in the thread there's no dot.

Last edited:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Ok I checked into the post order and it can only be changed globally. I think the old forum allowed a member to select the order but this forum doesn't have the option unless I set it that way for everyone.
You can change the order of the threads though by clicking "Last Message" on the upper right corner just above the row that shows the last message poster in each thread.

There is a add on that can be installed to allow a member to change the order of the posts but I don't want to install any addons until the new forum has been running a while and thoroughly tested.
Sorry about that.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm in the process of converting the forum to new software by XenForo.

This has been long overdue and will be a learning experience for me. I've ran other forums on just about every forum software out there but this will be the first time using XenForo I'm hoping to be able to save all members, posts, etc. There shouldn't be any down time during the conversion and I'm hoping this will be completed some time next week.

I've got the conversion done on another test server but still having issues with losing some posts and members. I haven't thrown in the towel yet.

To add to the nightmare I switched internet providers a couple weeks ago and have been having nothing but trouble with that also. A tech was supposed to come today to run a new drop line from the pole to the house but they called and changed to tomorrow. I'm at a standstill until I can keep a internet connection for more than 5-10 minutes.

Well we're back up and running on the new server with the new Forum powered by Xenforo. If anyone notices anything not working or if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks.
HRC

Multi-quote test.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Is it possible to have the posts listed with last post first like we had on the old format?

I just noticed there is a tab at the bottom of the threads that allows you to change thread order. If you're in a forum viewing threads scroll down to the bottom and in the middle just under the last thread there's a tab that allows you to change the order the threads are viewed. Is that what you were asking about?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Hi BH good to see you on the forum I'm glad you like the new layout. Some old members are having trouble logging in did you have and problems?

Bass Hole

Hey hotrod long time no see. I didn't have any problem getting on the forum except I forgot my password so it took a couple tries until I got it right. The fishing forum that I visit has this same setup and I really like it.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
OK thanks. I'm not sure why but some old members seem to be having trouble logging in. Good to know you didn't and good to see you on the forum. Don't be a stranger. :thumbsup: