Finally, I'm painting the golf cart

Bob-o

Its been a while in the making, but I've finally began to painting the golf cart today. Dad let me use his devilbiss paint gun to lay down the first coat of a big project for me. Its going to be impossible for this to turn out as well as I would like, mainly because the body is shot to hell. We have several used 01's, so I am using the body from one that was the worst of the bunch. The catch to it all is that if it turns out horribly, we have a forest green body waiting for a car.

Enough of the chat, here is what I'm doing. I'm painting it two tone with high gloss black on the upper half (the stop line is the body line just above the upper top strut mount hole, and the rear body is just above the body line). The bottom half is going to be a deep copper, so it doesn't look like putting on green and purple lol. I'm also going to run a midnight blue single pinstripe over the seam of the two colors. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of it yet, but I just painted the upper half of the front cowl today and was so excited that I didn't take the camera, and I wanted to go a head and share this with you all.

Oh, also we might be getting two tone black and copper (seating area) seat covers for it..... arrgggh I'm just really excited, I've wanted to do this for about 16 years.... since I was about 4'5" and helping "daddy" paint as a reward for doing well in math LMAO.

Have a great one
Bob

Bob-o

I forgot to take the camera again. I've put the first two coats on now. I changed the color pattern, its black over inferno red. I'll have the camera "owner" bring it in tommorrow so I can take pics of the car and those new hubcaps on a red car we have.

Sorry
Bob

Bob-o

OH SH*@T, I forgot about that too... well that car now has a tear jerker story to it. Dad decided to give it to a friend from his Vietnam Vetrans Organization. This friend has a grandson who is 17 years old and has terminal cancer. He lost one leg and one arm to the cancer when he was 8, so getting around the farm where he lives is difficult at best. As the cancer progresses through him, its becomming harder for him to get around so Dad told his grandfather that we wanted to give him that marathon for his grandson.

As far as all the pics... The camera should be at work tommorrow... I love pics and I know you guys do too.... so I'll get some out there!!!

Bob-o

Well, finally got the pics today..... just before we threw the cowl away. The paint came out ok, but it was my first try ever. The problem came in the body damage from before, apparently no amount of body prep (short of plastic filler) would have worked. Dad said one of the problems I had was that the second coat of black was sprayed a little too far away. I was happier with how the metallic red (inferno red) turned out though. The paint did something weird and blotted on the right side. It was a metallic so the shading isn't perfect. Apparently dad says I didn't have a consistent sweep and laid down the metallic unevenly. You will see some white, that is the area I was going to paint on a pinstripe. I tried real hard to keep the correct fan distance (1/2 of previous fan). I'm just disappointed that we couldn't keep it. But, here are the pics

Oh, I took a close up of the cowl where the body had some bad, bad scratches, not allowing the pain to lay down right. Doubly oh, yes I sanded the crap out of it. So all the funky looking spots (high spots) are a result of the body still having a "sandpaper" surface. I would have had to sand into the plastic I'm told.

Hey, don't hesitate to let me know what you think of the paint livery lol... scheme. Dad suggested that it would look better reversed, red over black. Do you guys think that would look better? Also, drop me any suggestions you have, or things that you see that I did wrong in that paint attempt. I'm learning here, but I always aim for a steep learning curve. I want the next one to be perfect... were gonna build and donate one to my Dads Vietnam Veterans Organization (V.V.O).

Thanks
Bob

club car man

Advanced Member
I think it loos good for your first time. now if you saw ME paint you'd LYHO. I cant paint ANYTHING. but I agree with your dad too. about the red over black it'd look good

Bob-o

Those hubcaps are pretty expensive. Their about 75 bucks... but the bright side is, they are really really wel built. Their thick, easy to put on (if you get a set you'll see why I say that) and their made with good chrome.

Bill

LoL, that was for Bob-o for not posting the pics yet

Bob-o, practice makes perfect!
Not a bad first attempt, at least you felt what it is like to mix everything up, put it in the gun and pull the trigger Two thumbs up for going for it!!!
Without knowing what kind of paint and being there it is tough to tell what happened with the black and sounds like You have an idea what happened with the metallic.
Try to stick with the same brand of paint though while You are learning, that will take out a few variables.

On a two tone paint scheme, normally it is best to paint the lighter color first and then come back and tape it off right on the lighter color after it dries and paint the darker color. Then you have a good overlap without worrying about "white lines".

And those hubcaps are badass! I'd like to see them with the rim painted black or even the color of the cart they were on.

spriddle

Post Decoder
I think the red over black would look better myself. Good job on your painting venture. Time, patience, and sanding. Hubcaps are awesome!! I really like them.

Bob-o

Thanks for the comments/suggestions guys. I do have a lot to learn when it comes to painting with these guns. I am going to keep practicing though. The next one... that I will try to paint for real. Will be a silver/black car with airbrushed decals of the POW/MIA seal and each military branch's seal. I plan on practicing on a cowl that we have, its the only one left, so I get to practice wet sanding too lol.

This time, my teacher didn't help me very much at all (mainly mixing and adding in the activators). He wanted me to make mistakes so he could show me what went wrong and how to fix it if something like that happened again. I am still puzzled with what happened to the red when it blotted. Its not overspray, but its almost like the a blob of paint came out of the gun. The only thing is the gun seemed to have a steady spray the whole time. We cleaned the crap out of it before I painted that color. Any ideas what causes that to happen? I forgot to ask dad about it before I threw the cowl away.

Thanks for the suggestion bill, I did paint the black first. On the next run, I'll paint the silver first. I'm going to practice first, but I'm going to go with an azure blue undercoat and a semi-transparent silver over that. I'm told that will give the silver a kind of light/dark appearance with a cool hue to it. I forgot the name of the paints we used. They were dupont brand though. But we had something called polyoxethane, I saw him with it in his hand, but never saw what he did with it or if he even used it lol. What is that stuff?

Thanks
Bob

spriddle

Post Decoder
Silver and black and would awesome! Good combo of colors in my opinion for anything. Most of my experience with paint is with rattle cans. I too would really like to learn to use a spray gun with my compressor. When I paint something with spray cans, I always just do light coats over and over back and forth, let dry a little and start again. I'm sure with a spray gun it is a lot to do with many things including the mixture of paint/etc... I bet HRC and Roady could really shed some light on this subject. My advice is just keep at it and you will eventually perfect it in your own way. I learn more through trial and error than anything. And believe me, I have had my share of error. LOL!!!

spriddle

Post Decoder
Matt: were talking about painting stuff here. It has nothing to do with lotion what so ever. Please pay attention. :p