EZGO Workhorse Snowmobile Engine Conversion

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I just bought this snowmobile engine on ebay. I am planning on a engine conversion for my EZGO Workhorse but I have to figure out how I will mount it.(I took HRC's advice) :D I plan on welding 2 or 3 1" square tubing and bolting it to that unless there is a better way. It came with everything except the muffler and it is liquid cooled. It has a nice clutch and I think I will be able to use it which would be great. Does oil injected mean you dont have to mix oil in the gas? I am so excited.(and broke) The horsepower on these are rated at somewhere around 50+. Well there is a lot of work to get doin.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Dont worry about me I do not intend on running it flat out. I will try to make it so the throttle will only let it get up to 30mph. I to have had my brush with death in this cart and I will take all saftey precautions. The main reason I want to do this swap is for reliability and torque. I take the workhorse to houston valley orv which is very mountainous nearly every other weekend and the stock engine overheats after a couple hours of riding. This snowmobile engine has a built in water pump so I am hoping that will help.
When I get more money I am going to put the bu A-arm suspension on it and a roll cage. Then the speed limiter comes off! :D Well I dont know we'll see. I need 4 wheel brakes but nobody makes them.
This one is only 3cc bigger than mine and it makes 70hp! :eek:

cives

Look hey I know for a fact you do not want to be going through what im going through. Trust me it is not fun having to have your friends cut up your food for you. Even at 20-25 I think you should take safety per-cautions. I usest to think the way your thinking and I know you will do stupid :censored: in your cart. If the picture I posted earlier of me didn't make you think I will post a new one of my arm and trust me it does not look good. Just bite the bullet and get a cage and harness and all that stuff.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
This is something I have to do. I think it will be a great learning experiance and then maybe I can move up to the vangaurds later on. In the mean time, I have done plenty of preperation for this and hopefully everything will turn out good. A roll cage and racing seats as well as an A-arm suspension kit are definately a possibility also.

wheelchairman

ProHauler!
what prep have you done? all i know is you have your spindle fixed and you got bigger tires so that you can flp easier. I'm sorry but as the man who rolled it about 3 times a week this is the last thing you need.

you will hurt yourself and due to your stupidity i will not feel bad for you.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Look most of you guys have gotten the wrong impression of me and dont realize what I am capable of. Just because I have laid down a challange isnt any reason to shi# on it. Sometimes you just have to take risks for a reward. No risks no rewards. :cool: My motto.

cives

ACE are you the dumbest person ever. Look all im tryin to do is make sure you dont kill yourself. After you flipping your cart what 3 times when it only goes 15 trust me 30 is alot worse. Look im not trying to be a dick im just trying to talk some sense into you.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
My engine arrived today and it is a lot biggier than I expected. There is only 3/4" between the engine and the frame rails on both sides. It is going to be one tight fit but its looking promicing. Its mounted on a nice sturdy platform that will make it easier to build a swing arm. Surprisingly its a lot lighter than the original engine. I will be using the recoil start instead of electric start so doesnt this mean I wont need to hook it up to a battery? I know on 4 wheelers you can use the recoil when you have a dead battery. It will greatly help with the complication of hooking all the wires up and that stuff but it didnt come with many wires anyway. It has a wiring harness that goes from the spark plugs to a little black box to the recoil and thats it. When using the recoil is the spark generated from that to the spark plugs instead of the battery generating the spark?

ubercart

Have fun building a swing arm strong enough to handle the toruque of that engine. Also I hope you parents have a good insurance policy on your ass!

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
What if instead of building a swing arm I welded it to the frame? The only problem I see there is if the rear end articulates the belt might come off. But then again this is a EZGO Workhorse and it doesnt know how to do that. ;)

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
If this engine wasnt so wide it would be simple to build a swing arm but it looks like there isnt going to be enough room for that. I need to get the recoil case over or under the bottom frame rail and it looks like my best bet is to weld in engine mounts and triangulate the heck out of them. I dont suppose its ok to have the primary clutch offset from the driven clutch about an inch to the left? How centered do the clutches need to be? Is their a company that makes custom belts?