EZGO Workhorse Engine Uses Oil and Smokes

buddybill

I have a 1997 EZGO Workhorse with a 350 cc engine. This thing has lots of hours and I'm sure it needs a engine rebuild because it uses a lot of oil and smokes a good bit. My question though is in lue of all the above is it is really slow upon take off but once it gets going it runs pretty good (about 20mph).
Do you guys think the problem with take off is the engine or the clutch, see my problem is monetary. Which comes first the engine or the clutches. It still has the small (18x8.5-8) wheels and tires on it too.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well the clutches would be cheaper than the engine, did you try a new belt? i would check the compression first and get a better idea how bad the engine is. if its smokin' the engine won't last very long and if it blows a rod you will be spending more money, are you sure there is only 1.5 qts of oil in the engine? ez go 4cycles are picky with the oil level

buddybill

yes the oil level is fine actually it burns alot of oil but i hear the valve seals are a weak link and an engine rebuild kit costs nearly as much as a rebuilt engine, just looking for an inexpensive way out thats all.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
the valve stem seals are seldom the problem, the rings get soft and you loose compression/power and burn oil.
you can try a good used drive clutch with a stiffer spring, the spring raises the engagement rpms. i still would check the compression first.

buddybill

Thanks nubs areally appreciate your input, by any chance do you know what the compression numbers should be on this model ?

Thanks again; Buddybill

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
EZGO 4 cycle engines are between 160 to 180lbs compression, lower than 140 and you start to lose power.

buddybill

No haven't started actual swap still trying to get my ducks all aligned. I need to make sure my clutch will work and need to figure out mounting technique any advice is greatly appreciated and nubs what is the 350 worth to you i have no need for it.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Which engine are you installing, do you have a clutch? i will send ya a pm about the EZGO 350 engine.

buddybill

I am installing a Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 16hp. I have a clutch but I don't know the brand yet or anything else it came as an extra with a cushman cart my friend purchased that has a 14 hp Vanguard. When i know more about it i will let you know.