EZGO Workhorse Briggs and Stratton 18 HP Engine Conversion

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I picked up a new engine for my Workhorse engine conversion today. It is an 18 HP Briggs and Stratton Vanguard with recoil back up start. As soon as Wlakntalls motor mount arrives the fun begins.
Can yall help me with the wiring? It has a lot more wiring than I thought. Where can I get a muffler for it? Will a stock muffler fit around the clutch?

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Here is the engine I bought. It is the second one in the 18hp group.
Ok I cant find a muffler for this thing anywhere. All I need is the muffler not the manifold. Can someone link me to a muffler?

Clayboy

Looks good! Is that thing on the shaft the clutch? I don't guess I have ever seen a Ez-go clutch before.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Thanks! I cant wait to get this out on the trails. All I need to do now is get a muffler, clutch and wire the engine for the electric start.

That thing on the clutch looks like it is the pulleys for whatever this engine was in.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I'm looking for a 94c from Comet but I cant find one locally.

It is wired but I would like to move the key switch to the dash. Can I do that by cutting the key switch wires and extending them with 12 gauge wire? Is this what I should use to connect the new wires to the old wires?
How do I hook it up to the battery and also do I need to ground it to the frame?

Clayboy

Yes on extending the wire harness. Wal-mart has some butt conectors that have heat-shrink to make them more water-proof but any should work ok. I grounded negative battery cable to frame and ran a bond cable from engine to frame.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I'm still not sure on how to wire the engine up to the battery. I have the key switch down pretty good but dont know where to start with everything else. Is there a store that carries all the wires and connectors? I saw the connectors at Lowes. I dont have any wiring experiance this is a first.

ubercart

Run a bare flat braided ground wire to the closest engine mount bolt. Run a gauge wire red to the starter, run a 12 wire from the charger output to the battery

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
One more question, is there a special tool for pulling the clutch off? I was trying to get that pulley off so I clamped a vice grip to the pulley and then loosend the bolt on the shaft but the pulley wont come off. Also I really dont want to clamp a vice grip to the brand new clutch. Is there a better way to keep the shaft from spinning when tightening the clutch bolt?

Thanks for all the help!

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Where are those 2 red wires going? And is that black wire the ground wire? I thought the ground wire goes from the engine to the frame.

One more question is this the right muffler for my engine? Thanks!

Clayboy

One red wire goes from battery + to solinoid. Other red wire goes from other side of solinoid to starter post. Black wire that you see is a split from battery - to frame. You can not see the ground from engine to frame in this picture.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
What gauge are those 2 red wires? Are they a 4 gauge? I went to Lowes and Autozone to get the wires but neither had the bare braided ground wire. Can I use a coated one and what gauge? What kind of heat source should I use to shrink the butt splice? Thanks!

Clayboy

Try Tractor supply. I bought most of my stuff there. I don't know gauge of red wires but they are for a lawnmower. I used a cigarette lighter for heating hear shrink. Just don't leave it one spot too long. I grounded the battery - to the frame so I could ground other accesories to frame and not have to worry about a short.