EZGO Won't Start When Hot

johnny9

Ok you cart guroos.. I drove a couple hrs this weekend and when i stopped and took foot off pedal it wouldnt go again. I turned key off and back on and still no power.. A few minutes and it worked fine drove home and shut it off and turned it back on and wouldnt do nothing again.. Waited 15 minutes or so and went back and turned the key, hit the gas and it was like nothing was ever wrong??
Weird to me, it seems like after it cooled a minute it was fine.. It's done this a few times in the last week and i wiggled the wires thinking it had a bad connection but that didnt seem to be the problem.. It almost seems something is getting warm and after i let off the gas after driving a hour or so it wont do nothing till i let it cool a few minutes

ANY SUGGESTIONS CARTAHOLICS...PLEASE HELP.. I have some pics to post but im not that computer literate, haha If hotrodcarts wants to post them for me let me know and i will try to get them to you,
thanks, John

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
What year is your cart? Double check all the connections at the battery, starter / generator, solenoid and ground.

Email me your pics and I'll post them for you...

johnny9

its a 2003 ezgo 295cc gas..runs great just a weird problem..i will clean and check all conections again tomorrow to be sure ..thanks hotrod,john

johnny9

well today i put a few hrs of non stop driveing on my little 295cc ezgo..i built a single seat in the rear and used a boat seat so my 13 yr old could go site seeing thru the woods with me and the wife..we had a blast..

when we got home ,and just like before when i let off the gas, it stoped, i put her in reverse and no power..
i did clean all connections a week or so ago and thought i had the problem fixed..even turned it up a bit for some more speed but not to much as im not in a hurry(yet)

it did it to me once while i was gone and i lifted the seat,put it in nuetral,press the gas a little and spun the clutch by hand and guess i got lucky as it started again and i kept it goin at a low idle and put it in gear and left before i got stranded for the night..

went back out 30 minutes later and still no power..last time i only had to wait a few minutes or so..is it possible it could be the starter generator thats gettin hot and doing this??

shurely im not the only person thats ever had this happen..i will try it in the morning and see what it does..if it doesnt do anything i guess i will find the problem but if it does work as useuall then i will be stumped again as to what is causeing this problem..any suggestions from you pros..ive learned more here than any chiltons manual i could ever have.
thanks,john

ftfixer

Really sounds like the starter generator to me i had this problem with my grandsons club car and I only had to replace the brushes. Did it myself for about 20 bucks probably cost you 50 or more to let an auto electric shop rebuild it for you it really will depend on what needs to be done to repair the starter. Someone on the forum could probably walk you through the rebuild.

johnny9

thanks for the advice..i hope its that simple..i will see if i get any more suggestions before tearing it apart..if thats the problem i shouldnt have any problems replaceing the brushes..i may just let the pros do it then they can tell me if they think its in ok condition before i get stranded again,thanks,john

johnny9

ok guys..i double cleaned the connections today and still no go..i jumped the solenoid with a kwik touch and the starter spun qwik..so now im thinkin it sounds like the solenoid and not the starter..does this sound right to you guys also,thanks again,john

gornoman

Try this same test when the cart is in it's FAILURE mode. If the bypass allows the cart to operate, you know it is the solenoid itself or the solenoid activation circuit.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Can you hear the solenoid click when the cart won't start? If you can it's probably the solenoid. Do like Gorno said and jump it the next time it won't start. Also check that there's power going to the small posts on the solenoid when the cart won't start...

johnny9

theres no clik comeing from the solenoid when i press the pedal just a normal clik that sounds like it from under and around the pedal area(always does that)i checked for power on the small post on the solenoid and didnt have juice there..

changed the solenoid and still the same...the cart shop i went to said the solenoid rarely goes bad and that he was pretty sure it was the starter motor or brushes..

took the starter out and it is real dirty inside from the brushes it looks like but, when i pulled the brushes they looked like there was still a 1/4 inch from the wear marks on them.

im gonna take it to the guy tomorrow and see what he thinks..

can i ground the starter w/jumper cables and hit it with power from a battery like you can a car starter to see if it spins??

thanks for you guys help,john

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the starter brushes are worn you would still get voltage to the solenoid and should still hear the solenoid click when you press the throttle. There's something else causing no voltage to the solenoid. My guess would be either the micro switch on the gas pedal a bad wire or connection on one of the small wires to the solenoid or the key switch...

johnny9

my key switch has 2 wires..to check to see of thats the problem would i just hook those 2 wires together to try to see if it works then,and un hook when done??

LilSmokey2007

Any resolutions on this? My 2007 EZGO Gas 6 seater ran strong for 15 mins or so, came to a stop (engine stopped) and then would not start again until I waited 15 mins or so. During that first 15 mins, I was trying to jump it with a mobile jump box and it worked temporarily, but after letting off the gas while in neutral and attempting to re-start, it failed. By the time I pushed the cart back into a safe spot in a parking, lot (with no extra jumping - about 15 mins later), it started back up and I made it home.

One theory I heard was that if the solenoid gets too warm, it fails until it cools down. Thoughts?