EZGO Wont Start Having Firing Problems

strokerace31558

I have a 92 4 cycle gas EZGO Medalist that's having firing problems and wont start. Battery has full power, generator works great. I cleaned the pulsar and wheel which pulsar generates spark, but not getting spark all the time or at least enough for the engine to start. I adjusted the valves, it had 120 and 140 compression now it has 155 and 160 compression. I put new NGK spark plugs in. The only thing I'm not certain of is spark plug wires, they are pretty stiff and hard. Any help will be appreciatted thanks guys.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome to the forum.
If your grounds are all good then it may be the ignitor, check the grounding from battery to frame and frame to engine. The ignitor needs to be grounded to the frame (common problem) :usa:

Eric181

I had similar problem with my 97 I found the ignitor (where the plug wires origingate from ) to be my problem If you pull the two small wires line side of it and put a metter there you should have some voltage. You can check the plug wires to if they are all cracked I would think about changing them out in the near future.
Good luck

strokerace31558

Well I replaced my grounds from generator-engine-frame-neg on batt,replaced positive aswell, I'm assuming its the ignitor or plug wires ,I'm getting spark at the moment I press pedal then it goes away the further down I press the pedal,getting gas,adjusted valves to spec,cleaned pulsator connection where it rides on wheel also cleaned that and still no luck she spins great generator works good it'll move cart while spinning over in gear with my 6ft 2. 240lb on it just won't bust off so I can ride hher and feel that power lol I have a all motor 500hp mustang to feel the power with I just wanna rtide this gas cart,I had a 36v lifted camo 4 seater with gears n 8.6 hp motor with 600amp controller 13" lift and 22"swampfox tires I miss it but. I found this gas cart for a benjamin lol just tryin to get her goin let me know if I've missed anything u say the ignitor needs to be grounded to the frame u mean the coil or the pulsator ? Let me know thanks

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The black wire in the center is the ground. I'm just making sure were talking about the same parts.

strokerace31558

Yeah I was confused with ignitor and coil I'm a mechanic have been for 17yrs but this is my first rodeo on these gas powered carts thank u for all the info u could possibly throw at me its very helpful ,if the ignitor isn't the problem what else would u suggest,wires,pulsator,??? I'll check ignitor ground now thanks for all the helpful info hey do u know if a set of gears for a 36v 95 ezgo will work in my cart they're brand new also have a 8.6hp 36v electricv motor new also for sale along with heavy duty seleto and solinoid all new will take 600obo thanks

strokerace31558

well i replaced ground wires to ignitor , still no luck it gets spark just as u press pedal barley if more is applied then spark goes away im still thinking coil or wires let me know what yall think ,thanks guys

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
when my ignitors go bad most will make one or two sparks and thats it. my money is on the ignitor, the most common reason the ignitors burn out is from sticky voltage regulator and high rpms. anything over 16 volts will burn em out in time.

strokerace31558

It sparks many times just not every stroke when engine is spinning over,that part is a rip off I'd rather run a msd ignition box for it lol

strokerace31558

are you serious because thats way cheaper than an igniter 195 bucks thats just crazy right especially as common as the these things go out id say 25 bucks tops coil 30 wires 10 pulsar 20 thats what those items should cost, u got a pic or diagrahm of how the msd 6a is hooked up ? that would be helpful for all that wanna do this and how long or is it safe to use with the other parts ?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Safe? There's no way this is safe. These engines like to blow up with the stock rev limiter, the valves will start to float around 4000 and the rods, or parts of them will find there way to the outside of the block. Like all engines, you would need to upgrade the valve train and rods. If you have played around with the MSD boxes you know there easy to work with, here is the basic setup and you can go from there. I don't want to be responable for somebody wreckin' there engine or gettin' hurt, you can use the stock coil.

strokerace31558

So then would it be safer to run a 6al msd box since it has pills for rev limiter what's the rpm range for a 295 robins with stock ignition parts so I could install a pill for that max rpm or under it so I wouldn't hurt the engine ? Thanks so much for all the info by the way

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I have never used a MSD 6-al box with the stock pulser coil. I would think it would work the same as a 6-a :dazed: EZGO ignitors trip out between 3750 and 4000 on my tach.

them MSD systems will work on any gas engine :thumbsup:

strokerace31558

i just assumed it would be safer to run the 6al with a 3,000-3,300 pill to prevent any damage, so hooking it up would u hook up the points trigger ? and the vr trigger hooks to pos on vr ? and vr ground is ground hook up have u ever done this or seen it done to know for sure it can be done whats the 2 wires coming of the box that usally hook 2 the distributor go to ?

strokerace31558

I'm getting voltage to coil, igniter, solenoid, generator, fuel pump works, did valve adjustment and has 155 and 160 compression. How do u test voltage to pulsator just by ohm reading or? It still only gets spark if you barely press pedal anymore than that and the spark goes away. Still wont run, I've changed plugs, a lot of connections , all my grounds, and my positive to solinoid cable. The engine spins over great just wont start up. What now? Could it be wires, or igniter still? Any help would be great also getting fuel plugs are wet, cleaned carb, fresh gas, any luck before i start buying something i don't need please. :wallbash: The oil is allitle over mark could that be a problem or would that cause my firing issue? Thanks guys also my oil sending unit wire isn't plugged in will that have any affect if so what do i wire it to its just a plug hanging figured its just a oil sender for gauge hook up to see oil psi.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
don't worry about the white oil senser wire, the ignitors are the problem 99% of the time when it comes to little or no spark. your going to have to bite the bullet, there is no test for the ignitor other than trying a good one to see if it starts.