EZGO TXT Freewheeling Under a Load

Xihog

When going up a hill or otherwise under a load the 99 EZGO TXT golf cart will hardly move. It seems as if the motor is "freewheeling" and as it gets moving a little faster the cart will then reach normal speed. This occurs whether the cart is fully charged or run down. Batteries are 3 years old. Controller is a couple of years old, which this is the 3rd controller to be on this cart. Motor is stock and controller was replaced as a stock replacement.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
What make the think the motor is freewheeling? Can you hear a grinding noise when this happens? What does the battery pack voltage drop to when golf cart slows down?
Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Glen Batchelor

Sounds like you have a bad controller or bad connections to the motor to me. The field coil must have a constant voltage in relation to the drive current being applied to the armature. As you build up speed the lower field voltage is less of an issue to keep the cart moving.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Sounds like you have a bad controller or bad connections to the motor to me. The field coil must have a constant voltage in relation to the drive current being applied to the armature. As you build up speed the lower field voltage is less of an issue to keep the cart moving.
Good to see ya, been awhile:hattip:

Glen Batchelor

Hey Nubs, been crazy with projects. Sold the cart to a very happy new owner of a customized 2001 TXT. I think I posted final pics here? Got a few months of getting the bugs out out of the 12V accessories conversion and letting the kids learn to drive it. Kids not too happy I sold it. Still looking for another cheap TXT flip project, but GAS this time. Working on a 1982 Yamaha XJ550 bike right now, so no room for a cart. I'm liking the space savings with the bike! :D