EZGO TXT Battery Charging Issue

Barkerbp

Hello all,

I’m new to the golf cart game. I recently received a EZGO golf cart and I think it has a battery charging issue. I have been charging batteries individually to get enough voltage for charger to turn on. My question is... with the batteries being low voltage would my charger still read low amps? Also the batteries are reading proper voltage while charger is connected but still showing no amps from charger. Am I even getting a charge with no amps showing from charger?

The batteries were showing very low voltage when I received the cart. Just trying to see if I could revive them for the time before buying new batteries.

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
What voltage do you have on the pack and what is the voltage of the car 36 or 48 volts? The best way to check if a charger is charging is to read the voltage of the pack record it and plug charger into car and read the voltage of the pack then should increase the longer it is plugged in. Keep in mind most chargers won't charge batteries if they are really low.

Barkerbp

It is 36 volts. The cart charger has been plugged in about 30 minutes and has ticked on like it is running but no amps showing. One battery read over 6 volts with charger running but when I unplugged charger and tested it read 3.8 and was falling.

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
You will need to get the voltage up by charging each battery to at least 6 volts or take it to a dealer and have him get the voltage up. Most factory chargers won't start at that voltage. How old are the batteries and have you checked the fluid level of the batteries making sure it is above the plates?

Barkerbp

The batteries are little over two years old but weren’t used at all last year. Fluids are good now I checked them yesterday

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
I would try to charge them with a car type charger and get the total voltage up around 36 volts and then try the cart charger on it.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
I agree with 2000. Use a regular 6v charger on each battery until they are well charged. Check voltage. I'm assuming your cart charger has an amp meter, so what does it read ? It takes 4-5 hours for the cart charger to fully charge. Sometimes the chargers will fail and only charge at about 5 amps if at all. A good charger should show 15-20 amps at first then back off as time goes by shutting itself off when charge is complete.

Barkerbp

When the batteries have low voltage will the charger still turn on but display no amps? Or will it not turn on at all?

At the moment the charger is turning on humming but no amps are being displayed.

Thanks for the input

Patrick L

Cartaholic
It kinda sorta sounds as if the charger board, relay switch or capacitor is bad in the charger. We still haven't heard what each battery voltage is.

Barkerbp

Voltage on the batteries as of now....I checked all continuity in charger seems ok from my knowledge. Charger seems to be sending out 41.4 volts from the Charger to batteries. Transformer is running but no amps displaying. I also let the charger run for about 6 hours last night.

Below is the list of voltages from batteries

Patrick L

Cartaholic
If those are the battery readings after the charge, there is a problem with either charger or the batteries. I'm assuming your charger is a PowerWise with an ammeter [ some don't have one]. I don't know what relay you are talking about, do you mean the reed switch ? If you are getting a low amp output from the charger my wild guess would be a bad capacitor. [ If I remember right it should having a reading of 1.3-1.8]. Try charging each battery with another charger to full charge and see what the readings are then.