EZGO TXT Axle Spline Issue

LILT79

Hows it going fellow carters. I'm new here and hopefully I can get some help or someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you ahead of time. I have been working on an EZGO TXT with a 6 inch lift, a HPEV AC drive setup and rear disk brakes with 2" spacers. we built this cart about three years ago and has been running great until last week when it shredded the outer driver side splines on the rear axle. We replaced the outer bearings on both sides and two days later it came back with the cotter pin broken and axle nut loose. tightened the nut put a new cotter pin and three days later it is back with the same problem. It sounds like something is binding but everything looked fine and turns smoothly on the jack stands I will probably change the whole rearend just to get the guy rolling again but would like to know if anybody has some input on this problem

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Did it strip the axle splines or the hub/drum splines? Usually it's the hub splines that strip. I would think if the splines on axle itself were stripped the hubs would be shot to. Also the castle nut on the end of the axle needs to be torqued to 100 ft lbs and if the cotter key doesn't line up tightened more until it lines up. Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

LILT79

Hello HotRodCarts, yes it stripped the axle splines but the hub was fine (cheap axle material?). the castle nuts were torqued as well. I am stumped. Thanks for the quick response.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The hubs are softer than the axles so I'm surprised the hub was still good. It it was mine I'd replace the axle and the hub with EZGO OEM parts. Some of the aftermarket hubs and axles are junk.