EZGO ST480 16hp Vanguard Engine Mods

ruredy

I just got a EZGO ST480 and was wondering if I can make this engine better or should I plan for a bigger V-Twin vanguard. Does anybody know of any engine mods for a 16hp vanguard, high rev kits, or anything like that?
Thanks

WALKNTALL

I have some stuff to wake that lil Briggs & Stratton Vanguard up... :yes: The cam and rev kits are the same part number 16-23hp... The billet intake wont fit but cam and rev kits do..

WALKNTALL

Need to think about an exhaust thats not very restrictive so it can breathe. Thats worth a couple hp alone.

Frank

ruredy

Frank I sent you a list of question about this try to bare with me here. The closest I've come to a briggs is my lawnmower. I will try to keep track and post the mods and pics here on CAH for everyone to see. I don't think I have seen hardly anything that involves the EZGO ST480's posted anywhere.

ruredy

Its been awhile and I have gotten nothing done on this cart other than riding it around and a bad attempt at adjusting the governor (it broke in half so I bent the rest of it around the bracket and adjusted the throttle cable) This turned out to work very well, the cart runs 28mph gps, and has loads of power. The locker rearend does just that, locks the wheels and spins both the tires.(its soooo much fun in the mud) I have a new understanding about how much mud a set of Stryker tires will throw, so I thought it would be cooler if I could throw even more mud. I started looking and found a new set of 4, 27" mud bug tires at what seemed like a good price ($198 to my door) and bought those. They should be here sometime this week. So now I need to lift the cart a little more to fit the tires and get all that done, then i'm going to try to get on those engine mods.
I wanted to say something about the brakes on this cart. They are truely amazing, I can stop in half the distance the mechanical brakes on my other carts can (unless i'm in the mud, then it slides like the rest of them) I really like this ST480, my only bitch is.....I can't belive I waited this long to get one.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Sounds like a real good deal on the tires. The EZGO ST480 is a top notch utility cart, I would like to own one for sure. Don't forget to post plenty of pics of that bad boy as your doing the upgrades. :thumbsup:

ruredy

Tires came today :D I love free shipping, he's got some more on ebay but it looks like he went up $10 a pair on the 27".

ruredy

Yes the tires will go on this cart, it is the ST480 I have been talking about. I bought it from a farm in the middle of tenn, its a 2002 and had 356hrs when I picked it up. it has a top and brushguard that I have removed while I decide what to do to the cart. I found it on ebay but ended up buying after the listing was closed when the reserve was never met. I paid $2500 for it, but had bid $2700 and was the high bidder when the auction closed. It cost me another $150 to get it home and I had to put a voltage regulater on it. I have watched the 480's on ebay for over a year and have seen alot of them sell for under $3000. When I decided to go ahead an get one, it took about 2 months to get this one.

ruredy

Well I got the front axle moved under the springs today. So I had enough room for a test fit of the tires. Its getting alot taller.

ruredy

Well I haven't put in lift blocks yet, but I do have everything clearing the tires now. I trimmed the back fenders, cut a 1" of the front of the rocker panel, and installed air shocks in the front. I might leave it this way, it seems to work well. I still need some spacers for the back, the tires are 1/4" away from the springs. I also added a 2000lb winch on a hitch mount just in case.