EZGO Secondary Driven Clutch Bolt Broken Off at the Splined Shaft

ultramaxx

I have a EZGO TXT model golf cart and the bolt that holds the secondary driven clutch on the rear axle has broken off at the splined shaft. My local shop told me to weld a stud to it and it would be fine. I welded a 5/16 nut to it and then put a 5/16 threaded rod to hold the clutch on. It lasted a few minutes and brakes the threaded rod.

I will post pics in the morning I'm sure this happened to someone. The guy at the local golf cart repair shop made it sound like it's no problem? Any ideas or help?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You need to get the broken bolt out and fix it right. Try using a ez-out to get the broken bolt out. I would stay away from the shop that old you to weld a stud on it and it would be fine.

ultramaxx

I drove 30 miles one way this morning to EZGO and the guy in the parts dept told me that the splined shaft is no longer available, but told me the reason it breaking is that the clutch is bad and has worn the aluminum splines on the clutch out is why there is slop between the two parts and causing the wobble and braking the bolts. He showed me the bolt and it was just a 5/16 grade five bolt.

My brother in law had already broke a ez-out in the original bolt that's why they told him to weld it.
Also they want 300.00 for the clutch and thats still not going to fix the splined shaft.

ultramaxx

What can anyone tell me about the EZGO driven clutch? The EZGO dealer says the splines are worn out causing the clutch to pitch and brake the bolt that holds it on. Anyone ever run into this? Does anyone have a parts brakedown of this clutch?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Did you ever get the broken bolt out of the shaft?

There's a link to a gas EZGO service manual in the EZGO Resource forum. It will have a diagram of the clutch.

ultramaxx

The shaft has a broken bolt in it still, my brother in law broke a easy-off in it so it wont come out. He welded a nut to the end of the shaft. I went to EZGO dealer in Ofallon MO and they told me the shaft itself is not available anymore

They told me the problem was the driven clutch is sloppy on the shaft and braking the bolt. They told me the factory bolt has zero pressure on it until the splines get worn.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
But your not using the factory bolt so we can't really go by that. The broken bolt and ez-out can be removed. If you want to fix it right that's where you need to start.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
HRC is right.

I say split the case and pull the shaft and let a machine shop clear the threads, install the right bolt and problem solved :twocents: