EZGO RXV 500 Amp Curtis Controller

Thompson0473

Has anyone on here put a 500 amp Curtis controller in there EZGO RXV? I came across a good deal on one and wanted to know if it will help my speed and torque out any. New to the electric golf cart world so don’t know much about them. Thanks in advance..

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
What controller are we talking about yes it could definitely increase speed and torque if you know how to set it up what motor are you presently running

Thompson0473

class H. 3 phase ac motor 48 volt is what’s on the motor. The controller is for the Club Car but comes with the whole wiring harness for free. All I know is it’s a 500amp sep-ex Curtis controller. If it would help any I was gonna install.

Diode

NO you have an AC cart and you cannot put a DC controller in that cart.

Class H is a heat rating of the motor (arround 350 degrees) now you could change motor also then it would maybe work what's the controller number. AC is a better system and with a non oem controller it could be set up for your needs
hope this helps email me you phone number I will answer any questions I can.

Thompson0473

Ok thanks a lot for your help. Glad I haven’t tried to hook it up yet. When I find out all the numbers on it I will get back with you thanks again.

Glen Batchelor

NO you have an AC cart and you cannot put a DC controller in that cart.

Class H is a heat rating of the motor (arround 350 degrees) now you could change motor also then it would maybe work what's the controller number. AC is a better system and with a non oem controller it could be set up for your needs
hope this helps email me you phone number I will answer any questions I can.

I'm trying hard to resist the VHS versus BETA debate.. :naughty:

Diode

Yes I know the feeling there are just some advantages to the AC no brushes, so you can do the equivalent of lowering field current without destroying the brushes, it’s a three phase motor so you have an extra set of windings in between the other two, and testing they seem to be faster and they don’t drop speed as badly going up hills. I still don’t understand how they can take DC convert it to three phase AC and not lose something there.

Glen Batchelor

3-phase sine wave is really cool but the startup draw is so much higher than DC. I guess it evens out on a cart with a digital inverter. Brushless high voltage AC R/C motors are starting to take over brushed kits now with LiFePO4 power being able to support the current draw.

Diode

I don’t know I guess I’m gonna have to try it myself that’s why I got into golf carts with us to learn electric vehicles they have kits out there.
I wonder what Tesla Prius and all the other electric cars are using

Diode

That was actually a very good article
I especially like the part where they said DC brushless was hard to work with because of the powerful fixed magnets I could just see all my tools stuck to the outside of the motor tool boxes moving towards me I’m going to have to think twice about working on them what about all the :censored: on the roads It would be like Like driving a street sweeper

Thompson0473

Alright another question about the cart guy. I just put new batteries in the golf cart and it’s only reading 47.6 volts. I’ve had the charger plugged in now for a day and still no difference. Charger cuts on and green charging light comes on where should I start looking for the problem at?

Diode

I would unplug the charger I would hook up a voltmeter to the battery pack I would plug the charger back in And then read the voltage if it doesn’t go up to 50 +V Then check the receptacle the charger is plugged into it should charge a 48 V pack at close to 60 V

Thompson0473

All the batteries are good with water. When I hook the charger up I’ve checked the current with a volt meter and it does not change.

Diode

Make sure the chargers plugged into a working receptacle not one that’s tripped