EZGO Quits Running After Riding a While

wjsmith71

After riding for a while my cart quits running. When it sits and cools off for a few minutes it starts going again.The batteries are only a couple years old and seem to hold a charge well. As long as you are on flat ground and on and off the cart no problems. Start climbing hills,crossing pastures or riding longer than 20 minutes the quitting problem begins. The controller and selenoid are less than a year old. Motor brushings and bearings were replaced 2 months ago.is this normal? Don't know what else I could replace. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Also cool website!!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

Does the cart have a lift with larger tires? It sounds like the controller is going into thermal shutdown. Was the controller replaced with a stock Curtis controller? It could possibly be the solenoid dropping out to. Do you get any trouble codes when the cart stops? If not try putting the cart in diagnostic mode and ride it until it quits and see what if any codes you get.

wjsmith71

Cart has a 6 inch spindle lift with 22 inch tires. Not sure about the controller but i think it was a stock and remanufactured. I was thinking along the same lines of controller thermal shutdown. Not sure how to put in diagnostic mode or pull codes???? I remember the codes being inside the contoller cover. Does it also tell how to go into diagnostic mode and pull codes?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Here's instructions on putting a EZGO PDS Golf Cart in Diagnostic Mode and what the different codes are.

EZGO PDS Golf Cart Diagnostic Mode & Fault Codes
E-Z-GO PDS Diagnostic Mode - EZGO PDS Fault Diagnostic Codes

To place the E-Z-GO PDS Golf Cart in diagnostic mode, with the key in the 'OFF' position, move the 'Run Tow Maintenance' switch to the 'RUN' position, move the Forward and Reverse switch from 'Neutral to Reverse' five times...

The first series of beeps (one. two, three or four) will indicate the performance option (chip - plug) that the PDS golf cart is equipped with. The second series of beeps will indicate the fault code (one, two, three or four more beeps). By reading the decal attached to the controller cover, or by reading the PDS Diagnostic Mode Fault Code Chart you can determine the the fault code, its symptoms and corrective action to be taken.

It is critical to the diagnostic procedure that the reverse buzzer is operational and can be verified by placing the EZGO PDS golf cart in reverse. Switching the run tow switch to tow will take the EZGO PDS golf cart out of diagnostic mode...
EZGO Resources

impdaddy

Nice chart Thanks. Dumba$$ question. In the first column, is that the number of beeps? such as 2-3 =beep beep (pause) beep beep beep ? thermal? Thanks