EZGO Only Has Spark When Pedal is Released

Rossco

My Ezgo 2001 1/2 has spark only when the pedal is released on the run down on start up it has no spark while the pedal is depressed. I have replaced the ignitor, pulse coil, voltage regulator and coil with new leads and still no spark. I am wondering if it could be the starter generator?

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The current path goes from the solenoid through a fuse, foot switch, and ignition switch, before it gets to the coils. I would check all that out, especially the foot switch, to make sure they are functioning properly. There are very helpful diagrams in the resource section of this forum to help you. Try “EZGO gas wiring”. I would also check all wiring for loose connections and corrosion, especially ground points.

Rossco

The cart was running and over a period of time just refused to start and run it is not something that just happened. It got real slow on start up until it would not run at all.

Tomd

Cartaholic
Check to see if you installed the battery in backward. Installing it wrong will cause the one spark when you let off the pedal

Tomd

Cartaholic
It might be something as simple as a bad ground. These things were bad to get rusty where the ignitor mounts. Also where did you buy all these parts ? and just to be clear replacing the voltage regulator has nothing to do with it firing. Check the wire connection that goes to pulser. Wiggle it while checking to see if it fires.

Tomd

Cartaholic
I just replaced the harness going to pulser because a cart would not crank . When I would leave the cart it would run. Next day when I tried to start it no fire. It did this often.
Ezgo still has these in stock and the pins going to pulser do get loose. Harness fixed the issue. Also not the first one I have replaced over the years and by ezgo still having these in stock tells me something. Something to check

Tomd

Cartaholic
Thank you I have a replacement harness ordered.
Did you wiggle the one you have now to see if would fire ? I hate for you to spend money until you narrow this thing down. If you had a magnifying glass and look at those pins to see if they have spread open where the connect to the male pin.

Rossco

Yes we have tried everything and still no spark so i hope a new harness will solve the problem ... in testing the starter/ Gen when the pedal is depressed and the starter is engaged there is a 3 volt drop at the coil so i am going to replace it with another i have i know works so the mystery goes on....and yes the contact pins on the outlets are very corroded so it will be a good thing to have a new harness.....Thankyou for all your help...

Tomd

Cartaholic
Yes we have tried everything and still no spark so i hope a new harness will solve the problem ... in testing the starter/ Gen when the pedal is depressed and the starter is engaged there is a 3 volt drop at the coil so i am going to replace it with another i have i know works so the mystery goes on....and yes the contact pins on the outlets are very corroded so it will be a good thing to have a new harness.....Thankyou for all your help...
Don't give up . Let us know how it goes. Never run into one yet in my 25 years of working on these carts I couldn't make fire. Good luck