EZGO Marathon Suddenly Stopped Working

mommascart

My family uses the golf cart every day, it is very important to me. Thanks in advance for any help.

1981 marathon Textron 575081 Curtis controller

It just suddenly stopped working.

I have fully charged batteries and have full power going through the two small connectors on the solenoid when the peddle is pushed and click is heard (forward and reverse). The diodes appear to be connected and in good order (have not done any further investigation on them. I have verified the motor works with a jumper box. I verified all of the wires were wired properly. I dropped it off at my golf cart guy who told me he thought it was the controller. I purchased a new controller Curtis 1204-027 PMC 24v/36v 275Amp. Its not an exact match as there are two additional connecting spots. a four prong white plastic female connector and a single male connector (see attached pictures Curtis I and Curtis II respectively). The third picture is of my old one after I tore it apart to see if I could find anything burnt and then glued it to re-seal (hack job).

Can anyone advise if the controller not being an exact match is likely the issue and, if so, is there a way to make this controller work on this machine?

Any other ideas...need more information?

Thanks again,

Matt

Attachments

• new curtis I.jpg
    new curtis I.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 12
  • new curtis II.jpg
    new curtis II.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 14
  • old controller.jpg
    old controller.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 12

Drich0801

Did you check the pot for the go pedal were they connect to the controller. Should start at 0 ohms to approximately 5 ohms.

mommascart

I just tried that and got 30 until pushing the peddle at which point it went to .5 ohms and down to 0 ohms when the peddle was all the way down.

Sounds like I could use a new one. I'll see if I can source one and loop back with the results.

Thanks Drich

mommascart

Well I got a used one and bench tested my old one and the new one. I guess I was testing ohms on the wrong two locations. I was testing on the two screws on top instead of the two leads that enter the controller. Both the old and new used pots tested .5 at click and then progressed up to just under 4.0 at about half rotation - then it showed OF.

I tend to think this means they are both good...but I could order a new one if this is the most suspicious part.

Just trying to determine where to go from here.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
In 1981 EZGO wasn't making controller carts yet so someone must of converted yours. The potentiometer should rear O and smoothly rise to 5K at full throttle. If it loses ohms at half throttle it's bad but you may have other problems also. Is the new controller a 0-5K input?
Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

mommascart

I got a new pot in the mail and no luck.

I checked ohms again on all three and the two older ones go to 7.5 and the new one goes to 5.

Any other suggestions on what I could investigate?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The only thing I can think of would be the controller. Jack the back of the golf cart up so rear tires are off the ground. Take your volt meter and put the positive lead on the controller B+ terminal and the ground lead on the M- controller terminal. Press the throttle to the floor and you should see full pack voltage on the meter. If you get full pack voltage the controller is bad or the wrong one for your cart.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Like I mentioned earlier in the thread in 81 EZGO wasn't using controllers yet so at some point someone converted it. Do you happen to still have the old controller? If so what's the make and model number?