EZGO marathon (I believe) upgrades

thosfelt

Hey - I'm new here and am very unfamiliar with golf carts on a whole, but I've just bought what I believe to be a 94 marathon and am interested in fixing it up (body,lift kit, tires ...). I know the current batteries are shot so I'm considering doing a 36V to 48V upgrade (I would rather buy all the batteries at once). Can anyone help me on what is involed in doing the upgrade and if the current motor and controller on the 94 marathon can handle 48V. Also correct me if I've idenitified my cart wrong, the Serial # 809306; and Manufacture Code G0894

Thanks,

Tim

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

Your cart is a 94 so it can be either a Marathon or a Medalist. The stock motor can handle 48 volts with no problem but the stock controller can't. You'll need to upgrade to a 48 volt controller. You'll also need a 48 volt charger and 48 volt solenoid.

If you can post a picture of the cart we can tell you if it's a Marathon or a Medalist. You can also tell by the battery configuration. If there's three batteries on each side of the cart it's a Marathon. If all six batteries are in the center in two rows of three it's a Medalist

thosfelt

I have 3 batteries on each side so it's a marathon as I though. I switched the batteries out and show ~38V across the series, but I get nothing when I turn the key switch on and press the pedal. Can you point me to the right wiring diagram so I can start testing where my problem is at (I ordered a service manual, but it doesn't look like it's going to arive till Monday and I would like to work on it this weekend since it looks like it's going to be rainy here). Also any suggestions on what it could possibly be would also be helpful.

thosfelt

I believe I have a bad solenoid, how do I tell for sure and where can I find a replacement solenoid. I've check a couple of the cart parts sites, but can't figure out which one I need for my cart (94 marathon 36V)

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Are you getting 36 volts across the small terminals on the solenoid when you press the throttle? If you are, jump the two large post on the solenoid with a 6 guage or larger cable. If the cart runs with the jumper the solenoid is bad. If your not getting 36 volts across the small terminals on the solenoid you have another problem. Here's links to the regular and heavy duty solenoids for 36 volt EZGO cart. The HD is a much better solenoid but either one will work...

thosfelt

So I should be able to take the leads off the two small posts and hook them to the voltmeter and see 36V when the pedal is fully depressed. This should tell me if I'm getting power from the microswitch?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Just put the positive lead on one small solenoid terminal and the negative lead to the battery pack negative post then push the throttle. Do this on both small terminals on the solenoid.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes. Or you can connect a ohm meter and you should get a reading when the micro switch is closed (activated) and 0 when the switch is open...