EZGO Marathon Has No Spark and No Fuel

cheeze

I have tried everything possible that I can think of on this EZGO Marathon golf cart and it has no spark. Another issue I am having is that I can't get the fuel pump to pump fuel and I'm getting no fuel to the carburetor. What are some things I could check for that? Any ideas?

This what I know:

new top end
new crank seals
new fuel pump
new solenoid
new coil
new rectifier box

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
For the no spark problem have you tried a new spark plug?

For the fuel problem check all the lines and make sure there's no cracks in them. It can take a lot of cranking to get them primed sometimes.

cheeze

I primed the fuel line with an automotive vaccum pump and that didnt help, it just lost its prime. I pulled the new pump apart and everything looks great. I am getting plenty of suction from the intake if that matters. The new spark plug is the first thing that I got for this cart. I know I didn't include that on my new parts list. I am at a loss here.

ez chris

Do you have test light or volt meter? even w/test light you can track a problem. Do you have power to coil when cranking?

essness

I'd say your lack of spark is no power to the coil.
I just re built a 89 EZGO Marathon and had some problems with fuel. I renewed all the fuel lines from the steel line under the seat to the pump and from the pump to the carburetor. I was amazed at how fast the fuel gets there now. I replaced it all with clear lines from a snowmobile rebuild I did a couple years ago so I can see the flow.

cheeze

Well the fuel issue is fixed. I found that after the crank seals, I did not tighten the hose clamps on the fuel line. Now I still need to address the issue with the ignition. If I am not getting power to the coil what would be the cause?

cheeze

Ok I have solid power going to both wires on the coil but no spark. Are both of the wires supposed to be hot or would one pulse with the timing?

essness

I would work my way to the coil from the key switch with a test light or meter. You should be able to find you short in there.

cheeze

My coil is mounted. I am getting power to both wires on the coil. I am not getting any action on the test light when I probe the wires coming out of the block (I am guessing that is the pulsar coil wires). Should I? I am getting power to the ignitor, however I don't know what I am supposed to get out of the other wires except I am getting juice to both wires on the coil.

cheeze

Holy crap batman IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I replaced the pulsar coil and it fired right up. However this thing runs like poo (power wise). It is slower than my pushmower. I have loaned out my compression guage to someone and I have no idea who......lol. So I cant check the compression at the moment, but is there anything else I can check to get more power?

By the way Thanx guys for all of the input, it has helped tremendously

ftfixer

Does the engine seem to run at full rpm's when not in gear in other words is the engine revving? Got a few possibilities here.

cheeze

Figured it out. I had the throttle linkage that connects to the carburator connected on the wrong nipple. It wasnt opening far enough. Now one more issue. It revs quick, however it seems that it takes a long time for the clutch and/or the belt to grab.

cheeze

I really don't see anything wrong with the belt edges. Belt is 1.25 inches in width at the widest point

twostickmutt

I'm having the same trouble, is there anything i can check before i replace the pulser coil. I have constant power to both sides of the coil too. I ran a seperate ground wire to the coil and didn't help. Any help much appreciated