EZGO Marathon Has No Power in Forward

equiprepairsv

Thanks for all the help with the points condenser and brushes all. Now new problem with my EZGO Marathon 2 stroke golf cart.
The engine is kicking it in reverse but acts like choking and has no power in forward. Any suggestions?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'm not sure what you mean by kicking in reverse. If the cart runs good in reverse and not so good in forward do a compression test and post your results.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
When I bought an 89 Ezgo, it had sat a while. I got it started but I had to choke it to run forward and it would go like hell in reverse. I thought it might be timing or something. I found it was a dirty carb. Can you believe a dirty carb would act like this? I still do not understand it. I had cleaned the carb twice, but, I finally cleaned it using a wire from a bread tie and compressed air. If you do not use these two things, you have really not cleaned the carb. Anyway, after I did that it ran like a champ.
I do not know what you mean by: "acts like chocking and or no power on forward" but if you mean you have no power and you have to choke it, you need to clean that carb.

equiprepairsv

By "kicking" I meant that it is running great in reverse. No sputter no heasitation, no indication that it needs adjusting.

However in fwd It is acting like it is getting the spark cut of every once and a while or like it is flooding just for a sec.

I have completed a thorough cleaning of the carb (with wire cleaners) and I do not have a compression tested but with my finger in the spk plug hole, It feels equal in fwd as in reverse. (how would it change due to rotation?)

I traced out the electrical completely and fixed a few loose wires but still sputtering in fwd (has consistant spark in fwd)

Any other ideas?

equiprepairsv

New check, at slow speed it is getting intermittent spark (on blocks it will kick up to high speed with the plug out so I couldn't tell)
All wiring has been checked. Could this be a short within the starter/stator?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The 2 stroke engine runs in both directions for forward and reverse and most carts get used a lot more in forward so the rings wear sooner running in that direction. This is a pretty common problem on the EZGO 2 stroke carts.

I'm not sure why you have good spark in reverse and intermittent spark in forward. Wait and see what others suggest.

Bob-o

Hi, if you have an engine with internal points, and you have adjusted the new points to .013" then the spark is related to timing or a bad condenser. Check the timing of the points, as it sounds to be to retarded.

Bob