EZGO Marathon Differential Help Please

Stuart

Hi All,
I have a 1992 EZGO Marathon that I'm going through and need some help with the differential. Now that I have it moving, there is a grinding or whirring noise coming from the rear end. I guess it's either the wheel bearing(s) or a bearing in the rear end. I just today bought a 1994 Marathon for parts, and the drive motor is out of it. I plan on replacing the entire rear end. My question is should the splined shaft that the drive motor attaches to turn when the cart rolls? Mine is not, and I wonder if that is an indicator that this rear end is bad. I think it could be because of the differential that this is happening. What do you think?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Usually when you hear the grinding noise on a EZGO rear end it's one or both of the hubs / brake drums have stripped splines. I'd check the hubs before tearing into the rear end. :twocents:

Stuart

Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. You have helped me in the past with this cart, and I really appreciate it.
So, are the splines located on the outside of the axle or on the inside? I tried to pinpoint the source of the noise with a stethoscope, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Thanks.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No problem, you're welcome. There's splines on the end of the axles and both hubs have splines. You have to take the cotter key out and nut off that holds the drums on to see the splines. If you take the dust cap off and try to drive the golf cart you will be able to see the axle spin inside of the hub if the splines are stripped. Here's a link to a diagram of the rear hub assembly.