EZGO Making Grinding Noise Help

Marc MacLennan

Help! I have an 98/99 EZGO. Batteries are fully charged. Tested all with a volt meter. Brake hubs are good. Now here is the problem. I take it out for a spin. After one lap around the house, it acts like it is dead. But I can still hear a "grinding" sound when pedal is depressed. As if the electric motor is still running. Any help?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There's also splines in the motor coupler although they don't strip as easy as the brake hubs. What is your battery pack voltage when the cart stops moving and is making the grinding noise? Low voltage or a bad connection can cause this also.
Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Marc MacLennan

I have not tested that yet. It is up in the air right now. It doesnt do it when in the air. Batteries are only 1 year old. Where do I find that spline?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
You would need to pull the motor out, that coupling/spline is on the end of the motor and connects to the pinion shaft in the rearend.

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
If you pull the motor off I would check the brushes in the motor as well as the bearing. Sometimes when the brushes are to short [worn out] it has a grinding sound.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would test the batteries and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Normally a bad battery isn't going to cause a "grinding" noise though.