EZGO Leaning Causing Front Tire Rub

execchef

97 EZGO TXT leaning left and causing the front tire to rub. Have read on forum no fix for lean so thinking of putting 4 inch lift kit on. Will this help? Also read on forum that I could put gas filled car shocks on this cart. Am I barking up the right tree here or in wrong forest?
Thanks for your help.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The lean is usually caused by weak springs on the drivers side. If nothing is bent on the cart new springs will straighten it out. If you lift the cart and keep the same springs you'll have the same lean. You can also try swapping the springs from the left side to right side of the cart.

execchef

Thinking I should do as much as possible while taking things apart. First regular or Hd springs? Second standard shocks ok? Doesn't seem too be many choices in that area. Third, my steering is soft, could it be something as a simple fitting or am I looking at $700+ for a new unit?
Will be adding a 3 inch lift kit from All Sport.
How do I post photos here as I would like to show off my project when I finish.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If your going to have a rear seat on the cart HD rear springs is a good idea. Otherwise I'd go with new stock springs and shocks.

If you have play in the steering rock the wheel back and forth while looking under the cart and see where the play is.

tugbuggy

I have a 75 EZGO thats lifted and it leans left also. No springs or shocks in front but the rear has John deere spring/shocks. I was going to swap left to right? Or if that does'nt work, of course spend $$$$$.

execchef

I am biting the bullet and replacing shocks and springs plus the lift. I'm not encouraged by what I have read here and on other blogs, but I think it will have a better ride even if it leans.
Thanks for chipping in.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've swapped springs side to side on the front and the rear to straighten out carts when people don't want to buy new springs. :twocents:

But if the cart is sagging low enough to cause tire rub new springs are the way to go.

tugbuggy

I swapped the rear spring/shocks and it made no difference. I did however discover I have badly worn wheel bearings causing my front left tire to rub the linkage when turning left. Also learned that securing loose hanging brake cables were they don't want to be will cause the brakes to lock-up when applied.

execchef

Lift kit, shocks, springs, brakes, tires and wheels have all arrived. With luck I will find time this weekend to "get er done". Will post back with any improvements and photos. :thumbsup:

execchef

Following instructions for lift kit. Removed cotter pins and nuts from outside tie rods. Can't get the bolts out. Have tried every angle and tapped with a hammer on each side. Is there something I am missing or are they just being stubborn. I didn't want to force anything in case it might cause damage. Help. :oops: rookie mechanic.

spr

Lots of WD40 just keep working it, if still nothink see if you can find a friend with a impact wrench. If you dont have one i'd look into getting one, that and a decent sized air compressor to go with it, if you keep working with older things you will find stubborn bolts and an impact wrench will quickly become a best friend.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Usually if you give the tie rod a good rap with a hammer while pulling down on it it will pop free. If not you'll need a pickle fork.
18530.jpg

execchef

Well after over coming every obstacle that the carts gods could throw at me I have finished . The new springs and shocks got rid of the cart lean. The lift kit , wheels. and fender flares made it look sexy. The new disc brakes made it safer. One last thing. When I took it out for the test drive today, I had a tough time controlling it. It wanted to swim back and forth across the road. I can't imagine this is normal for a lifted cart. This was at slow to moderate speeds. No way I'm going all out with is sliding left and right on a whim. All tires are on tight .Tires are parallel. Tie rods are new and greased. any ideas on what might be causing this? :dazed:

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
If she's floatin', yer to wide at the front (toe out). Easy way, turn the tie rods a quarter turn at a time, you'll feel if it's getting better or worse. :thumbsup: