EZGO Launch

oldcartfart

Hi' Here i go again, I just traded an 85 EZGO for a 93 EZGO the problem is the 93 with curtis controller has no slow speed you press the pedal and about 1/2 way down it just jack rabbit launches. the prev. owner said it just started this year when he got it from storage. I was thinking the wiper arm etc. but i forgot this is a controller cart not my old EZGO. should I start by checking the linkages, electrical? I called an EZGO shop first thing he said probally the controller bring it in to get it checked out. 50.00 an hr till they find problem. I have enough parts to old school it before I pay 50.00 an hr for guess work. Any ideas on what is causing this thing to launch? Any help on these newer carts is appreceated. thanks OCF

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd start with testing the pot box with a ohm meter. It should move smoothly from 0k no throttle to 5000k ohms at full throttle.

oldcartfart

hi' checked out the cart this weekend ohm meter was not real smooth reading. a friend gave me a used box he replaced when he upgraded i put it on and now you have one spot when you get the peddle in, it will go full throtle only. the box worked ok on his cart but sat on a shellf for a year. buggies unlimited catalog didn't show they carried this item. is it a dealer only part or where can i get a new one? when i'm done with this one i'm gonna stay with my antique carts. by the way any one know where i can get a flagmaster wiring diagram and or one for a viking? sorry wrong thread my mind wonders sometimes.I put the other box back on same thing just launches. thanks for the help ocf

oldcartfart

hi' well i have a new potbox in checked it before i put it in 0-5000 just fine hooked up the power to it pressed peddle and it still launches about 1/2 way down on peddle. Micro switches check out tight connections could it be the controller? How do i check it without frying it? thanks o.c.f.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The controller is about the only other thing it can be. I'd hate to tell you yes for sure and have you go buy one and it's not the problem though...

oldcartfart

hi'went to a shop that works on carts to see if the had a used controller. the gent there said i might have a flat spot or spots on the motor armature that may cause my problem.I asked how it would just launch and not just stop on slow speed when starting out. his response was when i press the pedal the motor wont move till it has enough juice to move it. with flat spots it takes more juice to move it hence the launch effect. Anyone heard of this flat spotting? i dont want to spend money on a new or rebuilt motor to find out it is controller. this cart may end up being parts or old schooled before i go broke with it. thanks o.c.f. :wallbash:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I guess that could be possible but then the cart should try to move a little when the motor is not on a bad spot. I can't see that the motor would stop on the bad part of the armature every time. Try jacking the rear of the cart up and see if the throttle works like it should. Don't let it run at full speed with the tires off the ground.

oldcartfart

hi' i got tired of messing with it took a break to think about it. i jacked it up and did a low volt test unhooked the motor cables and hooked up a 12 volt to the motor it worked with no hesitations hooked up the motor cables and tried the peddle it acted the same as before even with the rear in the air. i did notice that i have a little cleaning to do on the underside. might be something under the crude that is causing this. i'll keep you posted. thanks for your help. o.c.f.

osgom1

Did you get your cart running? it sounds like a battery problem or bad wire to the motor or batteries controller etc. Sometimes batteries will burn on the inside. disconnect all the wires from the batteries & check each one. im sure they are 6 volt right? if so u should have 6 volts on each one. if one is lower LIKE 4 VOLTS THAT BATTERY IS BAD.