EZGO Hasn't Run In a Few Years

Joe M.

A friend just acquired an EZGO electric golf cart it's an older unit that he was told hasn't run in a few years. Batteries are dead and brakes are frozen. Got brakes freed cart rolls easy. Charged batteries we got full volts (48) and that's where all our success ends. I'm a mechanic but not an electrician. I've downloaded wiring diagrams and tested for voltage at various points but have more questions than answers. What are the micro switches on the direction control for? I can make one click but it has to be moved manually the other nothing moves (no clicking noise). So I'm thinking both switches are junk. Any help and or suggestions will be welcome. thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If it's a older EZGO it should be 36 volts with six 6 volt batteries. Look in the passenger glove compartment for a tag with the Manufacturers code and post that so we can figure out what year the golf cart is. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Joe M.

Thanks. Manufactures code is K1697 serial number 1052484. to be honest I didn't have my glasses on and was using an old dial volt meter set on 50 volt scale and needle was very high on scale my cart is 48 so I just assumed this cart was too

Joe M.

nothing on this cart looks to have been modified. Are there any wiring diagrams I could download and can someone offer me some troubleshooting tips to determine our next step to revive this machine?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The micro switches can be tested with a ohm meter. There's a cam on the forward and reverse switch that should activate the micro switches when the switch is moved to forward and reverse. Also you need to check the battery pack voltage with a digital multi meter to see what the actual voltage is on the batteries. Is there a run tow switch on the controller cover? There should be a detailed wiring diagram in the Resource section of the forum.

Joe M.

I understand how those micro switches work, but like I said one moves and makes a clicking noise the other doesn't. I was able to find the wire diagram and test guide I'll do some checking when I get home from work this afternoon. the other important question that will come up is where do I get any parts I'll need?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can parts for the golf cart from any of the forum sponsors.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
If the F/R switch is mechanical [ lever in middle front panel rather than a dash mounted switch] then its a series system. At this point I'm thinking all connections/ contacts need to be removed and cleaned. Then voltages checked as said.

Glen Batchelor

StateOfChargePercentages.jpg

Joe M.

ok guys,
He bought batteries yesterday and we charged them overnight, we now have good 36 volts. So I started troubleshooting first thing checked four pin connector at speed controller. Where can I get new wire end contacts in picture? It was corroded heavy and broke while attempting to clean. The other thing we found in the pedal box is black and white wires show nothing in any pedal position. What should we expect to see coming from the coil assembly?

golf cart.jpg

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You should be able to find those wire terminals at a hardware store, auto parts store or a electronics shop. If not Mouser Electronics would have them on their website.