EZGO Hard Starting When Warm

Scottymaker

Howdy Fellas,

I'm new to the forum, but from what I've read so far, it's a great place to ask questions, so here goes. My EZGO gas golf cart is hard starting when warm.

It's an 2005 EZGO gasser, bought it new in 05, maintained every spring with new oil, gas, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, valves adjusted.....basically everything I'm supposed to do. I only use it on the golf course, and keep it very clean at all times.

Here's my issue. Just this spring, after about three holes of golf, when I press on the accelerator, the engine won't fire until about 10 seconds of turning over. I just tried hotter plugs today, BPR2ES, up from the standard BPR4ES plugs. When I took the 4's out, they were a little sooty, but not real bad. Did a ohm reading on the secondary side of the coil....all in spec. Is the coil getting warm, and going faulty on me?

This cart doesn't have many hours on it. Like I said, used only for golf once or twice a week, so everything is pretty new yet, but I know how things go with electrical components.

Thanks for your help!! :D

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Welcome to the forum :hattip:

Are you adjusting the valves or having a shop do it? They don't always do what they say. It sounds like a valve clearance problem :twocents:

Scottymaker

Nubs,

I do all the maintenance myself, and they are adjusted to .004 clearance. I did that in March, prior to the golf season here in IL. I am very particular about all maintenance on my cart and the rest of the fleet here at home. I should note another symptom that has been evident for a couple of years now. There is always a hesitation when the accelerator is pressed until the engine fires. Very, very slight, but always there. All throttle cable adjustments have been made to spec, so that is out of the question. Keep the ideas coming, I'm all ears!! Thanks Nubs!! :D

Scottymaker

I'll bring it back home and check the valve adjustment again if need be. Do you think another .001 or so looser on the valve lash might make things right?

Scottymaker

OK, I couldn't take it, I brought it home and checked the valve lash, and they were spot on, .004. I put a full charge on the battery, took all the terminals off the posts, cleaned all posts and terminals, put some penetrox (anti corrode paste) on all of the above, and re assembled.

What do you think, anything else I should check before I take it back?

Thanks again guys for your help!! :thumbsup:

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
In 2004 - 2005 EZGO had a recall for a carburetor problem. Hard starting when hot was one of the symptoms of the defective carb. Do you know if the cart ever had this done?

Scottymaker

No, as a matter of fact, it's not been done. Do I get in contact with EZGO for that? Ive got no problem doing that, I just want it fixed. Just as soon do the work myself, so maybe EZGO will work with me on that. I'll contact them about that.

Man, I really appreciate it. This info is priceless.

I'm open to any other thoughts.

Scottymaker

I will be sure and report what I find out, just for the benefit of the group. If it is the carb, we may want to sticky note this one as an informational about 04/05 EZGO carbs. For all I know, all you guys know about it already....but I always want to share info. ;)

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You should be able to contact your closest EZGO dealer to get the recall taken care of. Keep us updated on it. :thumbsup:

ezmelx

While waiting for a response from EZGO, borrow a carburator known to be in good working condition and replace yours.