EZGO Golf Cart No Forward or Reverse

EZGO golf cart has no ID plate in the passenger side glove box. Typical looking EZGO green 36 volts. Looks to be 1996 or newer. Has a switch for F & R and a state of charge meter right beside F & R. Meter shows full charge. Will not move in Forward or Reverse. Before I get into this cart. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My first time with an EZGO. Wiring diagram in the resources?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Is the steering box mounted to the frame or the front axle? If it's a newer EZGO TXT the tag/sticker will be under the seat behind the batteries under the access panel.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
So the F/R switch is dash mounted electric. Have you checked for power at/to the switch and thru the switch ?

2004 HotRodCarts. Patrick, I will check the micro switches on the F & R after checking the solenoid. This cart has a tow/run switch. Is this a solid state controller? Is the solenoid inside the cover of the controller? With the key in the on position and either in F or R, will the solenoid click like a resistor solenoid? When I do check the solenoid and with the accelerator depressed. I assume there should be power going to the controller.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It's a 2004 and would be a PDS drive system. Yes it will have a electronic controller and the solenoid is mounted under the controller cover. With the key on and in forward or reverse the solenoid should click when the throttle is pressed.

Thanks HotRodCarts. This cart seems to be pretty straightforward. Anything I should look for that has a history with these EZGO's?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would check the all of the cables connections and the small wire connections on the controller. Make sure you always flip the run tow switch to the tow position when working with anything electrical on the golf cart.

Wow. Started checking today. Bank has 37.2v. Not great, but ok. Took controller cover. Tow switch is in run. Solenoid does click when accelerator is depressed. Funny thing. I can hear the accelerator microswitch click before the solenoid clicks. Cart will sometimes move forward or backwards if you depress accelerator very slow. If you depress it quickly it will not move. The batteries may be no good. I haven't been able to test it under a load. I do know prior to getting this cart, a lot of cells water level were below the plates. Even though the batteries show 37v, they may be bad. F & R switch seems ok since it moves a little in both directions. All connections look good. Very clean cart.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The accelerator micro switch should click first it activates the solenoid. The battery pack voltage should be around 38.2 but at 37.2 the golf cart should move. Flip the run tow switch to tow and check the small wire connections on the controller. Also check the battery pack voltage and see if it drops at all when the solenoid clicks.

Accelerator ms clicks. Solenoid clicks. We know that. It wants to move f and b. What controls the speed? Is there a throttle sensor on this cart?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The ITS (Inductive Throttle Sensor) sends the throttle position to the controller to control the golf carts speed. What does the battery pack voltage drop to when the golf cart tries to move?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Here's a link to a electric EZGO service manual if you want to download it. It has diagrams and testing procedures for the EZGO TXT with the PDS system like your golf cart. It's the second link on this page.