EZGO Gas Golf Cart Won't Start

turbo130

I accidentally posted on the electric forum. I have a 1999 EZGO TXT gas golf cart that won't start when I step on the pedal. If I jump across the solenoid it will start should I replace the solenoid or could it be the micro switch.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I would check to see if there is 12+ volts going to the small post on the solenoid from the micro switch when you push the pedal, if so then the solenoid is more than likely bad :twocents:

turbo130

I tried checking the post where the green wire I think is from the micro switch and no juice, does that mean that the micro switch is bad or is the key switch bad?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Could be either, confirm that the green wire is coming from the m/switch first. then back track to the micro switch for power.

turbo130

I jump started it with a screwdriver across the solenoid hot leads and got it started, later it started by itself when I push on the gas pedal. It would start sometimes and sometimes I had to jump it. Right now I am saving up to take it into the shop, if I know what's wrong I can fix it, but my diagnostic skills when it comes to electrical has a lot to be desired.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
If your sure the connections are tight and clean it’s 99% a bad solenoid. If you change it out just make sure ya buy one made for a golf cart :twocents:

turbo130

I was thinking the same thing, there are a few types of solenoids on the market, I will research it and buy the correct one, thanks for all the great feed back.

country

sounds to me like you have a bad conection at the ignition or the reverse switch i have 63 EZGO golf carts I maintain and havent replaced a pedal switch yet.

turbo130

I have been laid up for over a week , I do feel strong enough now to replace the starter solenoid hopefully it will solve the problem.

country

You can test the solenoid by using a test light and checking for power at the side of the solonoid where the two wires with female connectors are. It should light up test light when gas pedal is pressed.