EZGO Gas Golf Cart Runs But Won't Move

coffman

Hey all, I just bought an 2007 EZGO gas golf cart. Factory lift kit and large tires were just put on by the seller. I got it home, off the trailer and around the neighborhood once. Backed it up and that was it. The engine runs but the golf cart won't move. The belt just seems to spin without engaging. Rear "drive clutch" turns. Not sure if drive clutch is right because I really am new to the drive system of a gas ezgo. I have no idea what to look for. I even did a search on youtube for a video...no luck though. I can push the cart in forward or reverse. F/R selector is as far as it will go without breaking the handle. With the seat off I can see the belt is very loose, drum from the motor comes in, belt turns and drive clutch moves apart. Everything turns except the wheels. I drove 2 and a half hours round trip to buy this thing and now it just sits. Is this something I can repair cheaply or should I return it. I have contacted seller but really don't wanna make that trip again if I can fix it myself. I was so mad yesterday I couldn't see straight. ANY advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
sounds like a stripped brake drum, check to see if the axle nut is spinning in the drum when ya hit the gas.

coffman

Thanks for posting a reply. Pretend your talking to an idiot and please explain where I would look to find the axle nut. I am totally lost and feel handicapped trying to figure this out. I just bought this yesterday.
Thanks, Bob
Also...is this something that I could have done in 15 mins, or does this take time? It is a 2007 model.

PS: I found the axle nut. :oops:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
look at the big nut in the center of the rear wheel, if you have center caps on your rims you will to remove the wheels to check if that nut spins with the brakes on. yes, the splines do strip out from time to time.

coffman

Thanks for your help. I'm actually not this dim usually. He has the lug nuts on so tight that I broke the end of my only socket extension. I will check this tomorrow. So, it is possible to strip a brake drum in a few minutes?
Help enlighten me more please. From what I have told you, is this a 2 stroke or 4?
Thank you much,
Bob

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
an 07 is a 4 stroke, EZGO's are known for striping drums. If the axle nut was not torqued right it will cause this but somethings there is no good reason.