EZGO Gas Golf Cart Idles When Throttle Isn't Pressed

Slackdog

Hello. I am having problems with my 1989 EZGO golf cart idling when at a full stop - when my foot is off the accelerator. If I tap on the accelerator, it will usually stop, but sometimes it won't. Any ideas? Thanks.

The solenoid may be sticking in the 'ON' position, never allowing the starter to rest. Listen for a click when you turn the key on. If there is one, the solenoid may be sticking. The solenoid should not click until the pedal is depressed about an inch or so. Also, listen for a click when you release the pedal. If there is no click, the solenoid may be sticking in the ‘ON’ position. This condition can cause lots of problems such as the car running away or excessive heat build up causing melting and burning. This problem is common on E-Z-GO & Melex pre-90 model cars. Click here to see our solenoid selection.
The accelerator micro switch may be out of adjustment causing the solenoid to stay on while the key is in the "on" position. Put the foward and reverse lever in the "neutral" position. Remove the seat and slowly press the accelerator pedal down. Listen for a low, almost inaudible, click when the pedal first moves and another click as it returns to the rest position. If there are not two clicks, especially a first one, the accelerator micro switch is never really shutting down to turn off the car. The adjustment will vary depending on the type of car, but will basically involve adjusting the arm to properly activate and deactivate the micro switch. When the switch is off, there will be no current to the solenoid. When the switch is on, it will allow current to the solenoid. Click here for a variety of micro switches.

Slackdog

Thanks so much Anthony. I followed the steps that you indicated. Basically, there is "no clicks" when I depress or release the pedal. So I assume, based on the info. you gave me, is that I need to adjust the accelerator micro switch? Can you give me instructions on where it is located and how to do so? You mentioned something about an arm adjustment? I have a parts manual (1988 - GX-440, GX444), but I don't see the part. Any detail as far as step-by-step instructions is deeply appreciated. Thanks again.

Michael

ez chris

I just had this problem with my 84. Mine was the rod that goes between gas pedal and the brake where it disengages the brake. there was a bushing siezing up and would not let gas pedal to fully release.tore it apart cleaned it lubed it good as new. check the linkages. but you should still here a click. i would think.hope this helps.

Slackdog

Thanks. I cleaned the micro-switch with electric parts cleaner. Seemed to take care of the problem. Now, when I release the gas pedal, the engine shuts down, like it should (i.e., doesn't continue to idle).