EZGO Gas Golf Cart Floods and Fouls Spark Plugs

kpatt

I posted a while back and my 2001 EZGO gas golf cart. The mechanic has no other ideas as how to fix this thing so im still trying on my own..
It floods out easy and I can get it going with new spark plugs but it won't last long, it floods out and fouls the spark plugs again. What should the spark look like on the plugs? I get a spark that looks weak to me..
Have put on a new carburetor, changed the igniter, but I put on a used coil. That's why I am asking about the spark. Any ideas?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
i don't remember your post so i may be repeating but you need to make sure the valves are set right and you need to know what the compression is.
valve set .04
compression should be around 170lbs on a used engine. if you can see the plugs sparking the ignition is most likely not the problem

kpatt

Me compression was good, tested at the EZGO dealer and he set the valves as well. I have hauled it over there many times and we keep having heck with this thing. I finally put a new carb on and that didnt do it. I've been through spark plugs, air filters, ignitor, coil (used), battery, air box, two used carbs and now a new one....the plugs are real wet and it is hard to get going and if I give it too much throttle it floods out and will not start until I put new plugs in it. The engine does not smoke and runs good when it runs, just flooding bad. I have worked on a lot of motorcycles and the spark looks weak and is not firing strong and blue like i think it needs to be. I may pick up a NEW coil and try that. My EZGO mechanic has given up on it and I need to fix it myself or find another mechanic I guess. He pulled the cover off and checked the timing and according to him thats not the problem.

wslonger

I'm not familiar with the ignition system on the newer ezgo's but from working on bikes you could have an issue with the ignition pickup which triggers the coil to fire.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The reason i ask is if the engine had been apart? and the balancer was installed a tooth off the cam timing will line up with the marks and still not be in time with the pistons.

kpatt

I bought it on craigs list and took it to my local dealer for clutches and belts and he tuned it up ...plugs, new air filter ect. I used it awhile and then it started with the flooding issue not long after I started using it around the farm and deer lease. I only had it a week or so before I took it in to get the belts and clutch replaced...been fight n it for a while and I pushed it back home for the second time sighting my rifle the other day....Id rather walk now because I'm afraid to drive the cart very far from the yard..

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
well the pulser coil and plug coil is all thats left to try as far as bolt on parts but its unlikely two coils would be bad :dazed: are we sure the ignitor is grounded.

kpatt

I will check that tonight while I'm piddlin with it. It has probably been torn into ..someone made a mark with white chalk on the timing cover indicating direction of rotation so I'm inclined to think its off a tooth....how much of a job is it to fix it if it is off one tooth?. My mechanic mentioned that might be the problem some time ago....and he wanted me to drop a new 350 in it but I'm not ready to spend the $1700 to do it.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
its a little work but don't spend that kind of money, there is better and cheaper ways to go if it comes down to that.
i can walk ya through it and post pictures if your willing to do the work? check the ignitor ground and we'll go from there :hattip: :usa:

kpatt

Thanks for the help....we had to go to town to get some mothers day goodies and such....I appreciate the help from everyone...I didnt have time to get in the shop to check the ground on the ignitor but I'm doing that tomorrow. If that's not the problem I will hollar for some step by step and some photos for moving a tooth forward or back.... I don't mind wrenching on the cart..matter of fact I would rather fix it myself. I don't have much experience on these little motors but I don't mind learn n.....thanks again will let you know.

kpatt

been out of town a while.......yep I asked the shop about leaning it out and just put a new carb on it and it still floods out. I think I need nubs directions on how to adjust the timing forward or back a tooth..

kpatt

I'm ready to start on it. Do you want to post directions here or do you want to email me..? I got to get this thing up and going. I hate not having it to take the nephews fishing and just having it around the yard and barn. It's bout to drive me nuts. :wallbash:

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
we can do it right here i'm thinkin', i would start by removing the timing belt cover so we can check if the cam sprocket is mounted right on the cam.

kpatt

ok i just pulled the timing cover off ...got my laptop in the shop and grease on the keyboard...now what?

kpatt

Well crap.....I gotta do this tommorow...post what you can on the next few steps and I will get back tommorow...my wife is mad cause i've been out of town working all week and now I messing around on her with my cart again.....I check back in the morning....thanks. :wallbash: