EZGO Electric Problems - Short Run Time

jerryd

Hi, I am new to the site and have looked at other titles but did not see anything that matched my problem. I have three problems which I've listed below. I have a 1998 EZ Go 36 Volt electric with new batteries purchased and installed Oct 06.
Problem 1: The cart has a high speed motor but doesn't go as fast as it did when I bought it in 04.
Problem 2: I can barely make it through 18 holes and home before I am completely discharged. This problem with short run time just started a couple days ago.
Problem 3: In order to charge the cart, if the batteries are fairly discharged, I have to plug it in 3 times and let the charger run its course before I get a full charge (or at least until my meter indicates a full charge).

Any help on one or all of the above will be greatly appreciated.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have a bad battery(s). Have you checked the voltages on the individual batteries? Take individual voltage readings on the batteries right after a charge then again after you notice the cart starting to slow down. Post your voltages and we can determine if it's a battery problem.

jerryd

Thanks for the info. Checked this morning after charging. All batteries have about 9.5 volts (measured with a Voltmeter). I will check after running.

jerryd

I found that the voltages were still near 6 volts even when the charge meter indicated very low charge. Checked with Hydrometer and found that the cells all had about one quarter charge. Recharged with my charger and found that still had only about three fourths charge. I borrowed a friends charger and after running the batteries down, charged it up again and found that it was a little better. I ran ithe batteries down again and charged it over night. This morning, almost all cells are up to full charge according to the hydrometer, with a few cells just under full charge. I believe now that all my problems come from one source--a defective charger. Will try to find someone that can fix mine (new ones are over $400) or eventually get a replacement. Thanks for your help.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Glad you got the problem narrowed down to the charger. Their is some diagrams in the resource section if you decide to tackle it yourself.

Caddy4Life

Where is the resource section? I have an EZGO serial 431067 that is having switch problems (won't go from time to time). I'd like to look at some wiring diagrams but not anxious to spring for the $50+ manual.

matt75

From the board index go to technical forums and click ezgo then click the bottom line where it says resources.