EZGO Electric Golf Cart Stalls at Full Throttle

d4unc

I just bought a 1998 EZGO TXT golf cart and everything seemed great on flat ground. Brought it home to the mountains and when pulling uphill at full throttle it shuts completely off and stalls. Come to a complete stop and give it half throttle and it would go anywhere. Full throttle on flat ground was ok. Then today on flat ground I was moving at slow speed and gave it full throttle and it shut down again. Now it won’t do anything but shutter when I give it throttle. Batteries are 1 year old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If you're still having the problem with your EZGO stalling at full throttle I would start with testing the voltage of the battery pack under a load.
Sorry for the late reply and welcome to the forum. :hattip:

d4unc

Checked voltage and replaced one battery. Ran good for a few weeks and then same thing. Replaced another battery and now same thing. Voltage is 6.14, 6.21,6.34,6.14,6.41,6.11. This is after a full charge

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The batteries should all be 6.37 volts or higher after a full charge so it looks like you still have some weak batteries in the pack. Your best bet would be replace the other 4 batteries with new ones and use the same brand and model batteries as the 2 new batteries. Mixing new batteries with old batteries never works out because the older batteries will wear down the new batteries faster.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
When you mention that it 'shutters', can you hear or feel the motor running ? I'm wondering if you have a rear hub/brake drum problem.

d4unc

Just seems like not quite enough power to move. Guess I’ll replace the low voltage batteries. Don’t know what kind of maintenance was done on the batteries but it seems unusual to me for a full set stamped may 2017 to go bad. I have two other carts with 4and5 year old batteries that run great

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Have you checked the batteries to see if the need water? The voltage number you posted are low for fully charged batteries so it's either the plates are exposed and they need water or the batteries are bad. :twocents:

d4unc

Water is good. All I can assume at this point is that the person I bought it from didn’t do proper maintenance

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If the golf cart was sitting unused for a while it's possible the battery voltage will go up after a few charge cycles seeing how the batteries are only a year old. If the voltage stays where it's at now after a few charge cycles it's time for new batteries.

alwims

I bought a '94, put new batteries in and am having the same problem. At full throttle, the cart just shuts off. Like OP said 1/2 throttle and it'll go everywhere. Could it be a relay or something?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
In mid 1994 EZGO switched from a potentiometer to a ITS for throttle control so we would need to know which setup your golf cart has. It might be better if you started a new thread, it makes things easier than trying to reply about two different problems on two different golf carts in the same thread.
Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Cruising at Full Throttle uses the least amount of battery power so I would also guess you have a throttle issue