EZGO Electric Golf Cart Has No Steering

leftywalker

My 1987 EZGO electric golf cart has no steering. It feels like something is skipping near the base of the steering column. Is there any common things that go wrong?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It sounds like a broken or worn tooth on one of the gears inside the steering box or a worn case.

Take the four bolts off the top of the steering box. The column, shaft, and steering wheel will all come off together. Be careful with the gasket, it needs to be there even if it's ripped(until a replacement is found).

Inside the steering box, lift out the reduction gear.

There are two pins sticking up out of the box. They should both be held tightly(pressed in) into the steering box.

You can inspect the reduction gear, and the steering shaft gear for worn, or broken teeth. You can also see the teeth on the rack at this point.

I'm having the exact same problem. Pulled all the gears and inspected. They all seem fine. I will inspect further when it's not 1:30am.

I can rotate one piece of the stearing on the ball joints. For lack of better terms I'll describe it. It's about 12"-14" long w/a ball joint on each end and connects from the steering idler assembly to the single tie rod that turns both wheels. The seals on both ball joints are worn.

Could this be the problem rather than worn gears?

If that's the case, I've got a brand new rack/rod & new ball joint I'll sell cheap.
wallbash.gif

I haven't decided if I'm going to use it or not. Still need an answer to my question.

If I don't use it, you can have it for $45 plus shipping.

I assumed this was my problem so went ahead and ordered it. Now I'm not so sure. I would suggest pulling apart your steering box first to check all three gears before ordering anything.