EZGO DCS Golf Cart No Click at Solenoid

johnv410

Hi, Hope I can get some help. I just got a 96 EZGO DCS golf cart that does not run and not sure what the other person done trying to get it going. What I do know is the the A1 spade terminal on the controller was bad so I was able to get a good used controller from a local shop. I put a set of New batteries in it and am getting nothing when I hit the accelerator pedal. No click at the solenoid. So I replaced the Solenoid and still no click. After digging into it further I found that the white and red wires at the Reed switch was broken in the Charging port. I was told to tie the red and white wire together to just bypass the Reed switch. Still no clicking at the Solenoid. I am not sure where to go at this point. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, John

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You need to run the Reed switch wire toy the battery packs main positive connection to bypass it. There's a post in the EZGO resource section of the forum with reed switch bypassing instructions and a picture.

johnv410

Thanks HotRod. I found it in the Resources but just to confirm are you saying leave the red wire screwed into the larger terminal and attach a jumper back to the + side of the battery pack? What should I do with the white wire. The reed switch was broken in pieces so now its a bare wire.

Thanks again for your help.

John

johnv410

Ok, Now I am confused again. If I connect them do I need to still run the red wire back to + side of the pack? As the carts sits today I cut the Reed switch off and joined the Red and White together but still have no clicking at the solenoid. I am still learning this carts so I apologize I am a little slow. lol

johnv410

After running a wire beck to + side of the battery pack I still have no click at Solenoid. I tested good continuity at both F/R micro switches. Any suggestions on where to go from here.
Thanks again.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I know you said you replaced the controller but have you done any work on the electrical system since then without putting the run tow switch in the tow position? Does the reverse alarm work?

johnv410

I have always made sure the tow switch was OFF. I even took the switch out and tested to make sure it was working. Continuity at all pins. The reverse alarm wires are not hooked up so there is the small red and black wires disconnected with the red wire pulled out of the alarm itself so there is the red, black and green with black stripe not hooked up.

johnv410

Another bit of information - I am getting Battery pack voltage 38.6 on the large post (Right side of Solenoid/Battery side with red wires. ) but only 35 on the other large post (body of cart side). My ohm meter jumps all over so don't have much faith in it so I have a new coming this week.

johnv410

Can you tell me the correct way to jump the Solenoid? I have someone trying to convince me to jump it but unsure of what 2 terminals to jump so I refuse to try it as I don't want to create more issues by smoking something else in the electrical system. I really appreciate your help with this issue.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
To jump the solenoid you run a jumper (6 gauge or larger) from one large solenoid post to the other large solenoid post. Make sure the run tow switch is in the tow position when you do this. The EZGO DCS controllers are fragile and I've seen them fry when jumping the solenoid.

johnv410

Nice, I was told to jump one small post to the other small post. Ok, I will try this tonight. I am assuming with the key on and hitting the accelerator pedal?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
After the jumper is connected flip the run tow switch to run, turn the key on and press the throttle. I'd suggest checking the micro switch in the pedal box under the floor mat to make sure that's not your problem before jumping the solenoid.

johnv410

Thanks HotRod, That is my plan. I have a new micro switch on order expected any day now So I was going to swap that switch out before jumping it. I wll let you know the results once I try that.

johnv410

I have swapped out the Micro Switch in the pedal box with no changes. After attaching a cable across both large terminals to jump the Solenoid I got nothing when hitting the gas peddle. Where would you suggest I go from here?
Thanks again.

johnv410

I got my new Ohm meter last night but didn't have much time to go over the cart. I have just recently changed the key switch and the micro- switch at the ITS in the floor but still no click at the solenoid. Battery pack is 38.6 volts. I have the same voltage at the solenoid large terminal battery side and 35 v at the other side. With my old Ohm meter I was reading 64.2 at both small post on the solenoid so I knew the meter was not working properly. With the new one I am getting 0 volts at both terminals. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should check before buying a new controller?
Thanks, John